The Student Room Group

First Time Clubbing Worries

Hey so I'm a very anxious person, so anxious that in my first semester as uni I was too scared to go clubbing, however in my second semester I have decided to be brave and go! I'm going with 6 friends, HOWEVER only 3 of us are going back to the same accomodation and we live over 30 MINUTES away from the club!

There's not reliable Ubers here so the only choices we have are a taxi, which I've been told not to do as it's not the safest for girls, or walking, however also scared with walking and busses won't be running in the early morning.

Is it safe to walk home for 30 minutes in a city with 3 people? (All girls)
I just don't wanna die because I've already been followed on my FIRST DAY at uni by a man during the daytime and now I'm terrifed. There's also a lot of drugs here.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you :smile:
Original post by Amy_addison
Hey so I'm a very anxious person, so anxious that in my first semester as uni I was too scared to go clubbing, however in my second semester I have decided to be brave and go! I'm going with 6 friends, HOWEVER only 3 of us are going back to the same accomodation and we live over 30 MINUTES away from the club!

There's not reliable Ubers here so the only choices we have are a taxi, which I've been told not to do as it's not the safest for girls, or walking, however also scared with walking and busses won't be running in the early morning.

I just don't wanna die because I've already been followed on my FIRST DAY at uni by a man during the daytime and now I'm terrifed. There's also a lot of drugs here.

Being in groups is much better, although doing any extensive walking at night isn't ideal (it much depends on the city though, and the local area too). If I were you I'd try to avoid walking and get in an uber or taxi. I'd be talking with someone on the phone if possible during the ride back to your accommodation. And at least one of you needs to be somewhat sober or be able to pretend that they are. Having a group of people where everyone is obviously wasted is a recipe for disaster.
Reply 2
Hi, I've definitely walked back through town (I'm in Bath) for half an hour back from the club before but it's much nicer (and probably safer) getting an uber/taxi. I think generally you're much safer as a group and if there's a reputable taxi company I can't see how anything could happen to you guys because the company would have a record of who the driver is.

Just don't get absolutely wasted and you should be fine, however you get home make sure at least one of you is able to be aware of your surroundings.

Hope you have fun :smile:
Reply 3
If you don't want to get an uber then look up reliable taxi firms before you go and ring one and get a taxi if there are three of you. Check the name of the person who will be picking you up and check this before you get in the taxi.

Same applies to an uber. Take a photo of the uber number plate as he arrives. You can send an uber link to someone whilst in the uber so they can trace you and mention this to a friend in the uber so that the uber driver hears. As said above, call someone whilst in the uber and talk about the fact you are in one and the route you are taking etc.

Don't go to the toilet alone.

Watch your drinks very carefully all the time.

Don't accept drinks from anyone.

You can get those drink covers in some places or take your own to help avoid spiking.

Take some emergency cash and keep it separate to your bag/phone in case either is stolen or lost and you get accidentally separated from friends.

Take some numbers of people you can call for help and reliable taxi firms and keep them separate to your bag and phone in case you need them.

Obviously don't leave your stuff unattended.

Never separate from friends. If one of you has to leave a club or is refused entry, at least one of you must go with that person. Agree this before you go and agree who is willing to do this.

Safety in numbers.

Don't appear drunk. If you do the bouncers may chuck you out of the club or refuse you entry and they are not always nice people.

One of you at least needs to stay relatively sober.

I have a daughter who goes clubbing sometimes in what I think are rough clubs in the city centre and she does all of this.

Have great fun clubbing!
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Amy_addison

Hey there @Amy_addison !

My best advice to you is to make sure there's never a moment when you're by yourself. If you stick with a group, you're automatically 10x safer. Try and ask around for what a reliable taxi company is and then as long as you're with a group then it should be okay. A walk is also okay as long as you're in a group and you know your route. To make yourself feel more comfortable, you could try walking the route during the day to familiarise yourself with where everything is. There's more power in numbers so just make sure you have each other's numbers in your phone just incase and you should be fine.

Enjoy your night out!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending