The Student Room Group

what do normal uni students do?

Hi everyone :smile:

I have noticed myself often contemplating nowadays, about how it seems i am not making the most out of my uni experience.
Today i was thinking about how i don't want to look back once i am a working adult, and regret not doing what students should do (and not in the sense that i wanna do stuff just because everyone else is kinda thing).

Since first year (i am now 3rd with one year remaining!), i haven't joined many societies, and the ones i do haven't given me much social life :/ I know societies are the best way to meet people but it seems i am in the wrong societies idk. I go to my lectures like a good student, hehe, but again i have no course friends.
I use library facilities but no surprise i aint meeting anyone there either.

I have been trying to get a part time campus job to no avail...I just feel like nothing i am doing is enough? Like i am missing out and not doing enough clubs etc, but i also have mild social anxiety and don't know what other clubs i should join.
Unfortunately i am also an introvert who does not like clubbing, and part of me feels like i am missing out on the student life there, but i am not one to force myself to do things if i don't enjoy it.

I can't afford the sports membership, and i think that's my biggest issue as i have always really wanted to join sports and go gym, as these are the most sociable places (biased opinion ofc), but i am financially stressed.

So my actual question is, what do you all at university typically do; in terms of social life, how you keep yourself entertained and work life too :smile: I am curious and really want to make my Uni life worthwhile!
I have next year to turn things around so any advice is appreciated!

Edit: I want to try some new societies this sem, but am afraid of signing up alone and not knowing anyone ☹️ I have no one to do anything with but i know it shouldn't stop me from putting myself out there
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Mystical_psychic

I have noticed myself often contemplating nowadays, about how it seems i am not making the most out of my uni experience.
Today i was thinking about how i don't want to look back once i am a working adult, and regret not doing what students should do (and not in the sense that i wanna do stuff just because everyone else is kinda thing).

Since first year (i am now 3rd with one year remaining!), i haven't joined many societies, and the ones i do haven't given me much social life :/ I know societies are the best way to meet people but it seems i am in the wrong societies idk. I go to my lectures like a good student, hehe, but again i have no course friends.

I have been trying to get a part time campus job to no avail...I just feel like nothing i am doing is enough? Like i am missing out and not doing enough clubs etc, but i also have mild social anxiety and don't know what other clubs i should join.
Unfortunately i am also an introvert who does not like clubbing, and part of me feels like i am missing out on the student life there, but i am not one to force myself to do things if i don't enjoy it.

I can't afford the sports membership, and i think that's my biggest issue as i have always really wanted to join sports and go gym, as these are the most sociable places (biased opinion ofc), but i am financially stressed.

So my actual question is, what do you all at university typically do; in terms of social life, how you keep yourself entertained and work life too :smile: I am curious and really want to make my Uni life worthwhile!

Edit: I want to try some new societies this sem, but am afraid of signing up alone and not knowing anyone ☹️ I have no one to do anything with but i know it shouldn't stop me from putting myself out there

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with this, it sounds like you have tried a lot already! There are no set rules for you to have a great and fulfilling student life - you define that yourself.

Personally, I don't enjoy clubbing and haven't joined any sports or societies. I went to a few taster sessions, but it just wasn't for me. Instead, I get out in the city with friends and explore, hangout, and do seemingly mundane stuff - but I love it! I work part-time for my university as a student ambassador, which is a really great role that allows me to focus on my studies and social life alongside work.

I'd recommend you keep trying to find a job with your university, as these are a great way to socialize with people on campus. If not, try branching out to your university town/city. Get involved with what interests you, try to talk to people (it is scary and can be very awkward, but it is good to try!), and try not to put too much pressure on making friends and doing everything.

Are there people in your accommodation you could try to get to know? On your course? What kind of volunteering opportunities could you get involved in? Keep trying to talk to people in your societies as you already have a common interest, so this might be a good place to start.

Embrace the nerves, don't put too much pressure on yourself, and enjoy your third year. Find out what you like to do, and hopefully you can meet people who like to do that too.

I hope this helps and best of luck,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student

Hello there,

You should absolutely join new societies without worrying about signing up alone! Every now and again you always get a person or two joining a society and the fact that they're new and don't know anybody doesn't stop them from having a good time and making new friends!

Also, just approach people in your lectures. Strike up a conversation with anybody random just before your lectures and see what happens. It's a great way to meet people and making friends.

In terms of social life, I usually go to a society or two during the week, and as it's tradition at my university, we go to the local spoons after the sessions. I might also find something that I want to do (like go see a show or a museum or something) and invite people to that. My friends and I religiously neglect to do any work during the breaks between our lectures and we just hang out together to talk and maybe play card games. I usually also do something fun on Friday nights. I'll either get invited to something or try to put something together. Clubbing is sadly the king of Friday night, which I'm not a big fan of, but I sometimes allow myself to be roped by the party animals that live next door to me to go out with them, or if not I'll hang out with them before they go clubbing, because pres are fun and sociable. When I have nothing to do with anybody, I'll read books or watch movies or TV shows.

Hope this was useful :smile:

Hi @Mystical_psychic ,

It can be hard sometimes when you feel as though you aren't having the 'perfect' student experience, but everybody's uni experience is different and that's okay! I personally found first year quite tough in terms of making friends but everybody is different and it can take time to find good friends that want to do fun things with you.

I would say to keep trying to get a campus job part time as they are really good! I am a student ambassador and it is a really good way to make some money and it is really flexible. It's also a good way of making friends as the people that you will be working with are students too!

I would also say that if you find a society that you are interested in then go for it! Maybe go for a taster session and see if it is something that you like and if it is then you may as well try it. Or you could always start one in September rather than now if you are worried that nobody else will be new.

Also keep going to lectures and try and chat to new people there too! I'm sure there will be lots of friendly people who will want to chat and if you find a group you could always suggest going to the library together or doing some studying together.

I would also say that if you don't enjoy clubbing then you aren't missing out! I don't enjoy it that much and I'd much rather go for dinner or a few drinks rather than clubbing and I don't feel like I am missing out! So don't worry about that as there are lots of people who don't go clubbing.

I hope some of this helps and you enjoy your final year!

Lucy - SHU student ambassador.
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi @Mystical_psychic ,

It can be hard sometimes when you feel as though you aren't having the 'perfect' student experience, but everybody's uni experience is different and that's okay! I personally found first year quite tough in terms of making friends but everybody is different and it can take time to find good friends that want to do fun things with you.

I would say to keep trying to get a campus job part time as they are really good! I am a student ambassador and it is a really good way to make some money and it is really flexible. It's also a good way of making friends as the people that you will be working with are students too!

I would also say that if you find a society that you are interested in then go for it! Maybe go for a taster session and see if it is something that you like and if it is then you may as well try it. Or you could always start one in September rather than now if you are worried that nobody else will be new.

Also keep going to lectures and try and chat to new people there too! I'm sure there will be lots of friendly people who will want to chat and if you find a group you could always suggest going to the library together or doing some studying together.

I would also say that if you don't enjoy clubbing then you aren't missing out! I don't enjoy it that much and I'd much rather go for dinner or a few drinks rather than clubbing and I don't feel like I am missing out! So don't worry about that as there are lots of people who don't go clubbing.

I hope some of this helps and you enjoy your final year!

Lucy - SHU student ambassador.

Hi Lucy, cheers for the advice.

In terms of campus jobs, would you be happy to share your experience with interviews/application stages as I just think I have been unlucky thus far, but if all goes well I should receive an interview for a campus position soon! (Seems like the universe heard me whining haha) - but in all seriousness, I have no experience at all for jobs, let alone working in a café/coffee shop or campus bar.
I know these positions are quite different from your ambassador role, but do you think you could share any advice with preparing for an interview for someone with no real experience please?

I have been trying to look out for these position openings for some time and have finally caught it in time, so would be very disappointed if I end up getting rejected as i am serious about part-time work and would love to join my campus crew!
Also I attended my first interview also on campus not too long ago, and thought i did pretty well but got rejected- ofc this is disheartening especially when you have been trying for so long, but I don't want this rejection again.
(They also never told me why I didn't make it which is super annoying ://)

Hey!

You should definitely try not be worried about signing up to societies and activities alone, I'm sure the initial thought process is a little scary but I'm certain once you get there and start speaking to people you will start to feel more comfortable. You will be probably be surprised about how many other students attend on their own aswell!

If your university does offer job roles then definitely try look for those as its a great way to meet new people but still staying in the same environment and you also have the point of being students at the uni as a thing in common. I am a 3rd year at Anglia Ruskin in Cambridge and ARU offers a student ambassador role where you are able to help out the uni with some jobs whilst earning money so you could always find out if your university does something similar?

You could also find out if your university has a student union like a wellbeing or hangout space? Generally some universities will run fun and free activities that you can join in on whilst also being a space to meet new people.

Don't be nervous to make the first move with people on your course too! I did, I just sat down next to somebody who was also on there own and just started a conversation and she is now my best friend 3 years later! The chances are if somebody is also sitting alone, they feel the exact same way you do so they would also love to have somebody to talk too!

I hope this helps and good luck!

Bayleigh
Hello,

I am sorry you are feeling this way, it can feel quite disheartening when you have already tried so much to meet people. Don't lose hope though! Sometimes you meet the best of people in the most unordinary ways

Some of the advice given above is great, but I have some out of the box suggestions:

Friendship apps like Peanut and Hangout help you meet people around the area with similar interests which can be quite fun to plan things.

Join a running club? some cafe's (Rise in Preston) have the option of joining a free running club on Saturday around our beautiful Avenham Park, maybe your city has something similar?

Check if your city council has any events

Create your own society with a free membership, is can be just a hangout society and from there you move on to create other events.

Hangout in Student Spots (cafes, library, restaurants that offer student discount) and my trick is befriend the person you ask to look after your stuff when you go to the loo 😂

Best of luck,
Haya - MBBS V

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending