The Student Room Group

Xx

Thanks!
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Rosiedane12
I handed in an assignment less week that I thought was under the +10% word count, however I recently discovered that tables are included in the word count for my course, which would have made my essay 14% over. I have looked up my university guidelines to and according to my university, they will simply stop reading at this 10% mark. Is it worth emailing my professor to make him aware or wait until I have my feedback? And realistically how much could this possibly affect my grade? I'm worried I will get a low grade now simply because of this factor! Thank you!

Hey!

Universities do tend to stop marking after they have got to the word count. Anything over that +10% would not be marked. However, they only check the word count if they believe it looks like it is over. I would recommend emailing your professor and making them aware that you did not know tables were included. They may not be able to assist and it may continue to be marked that way but it is always good to let them know and ask for their support. In the future I would recommend always double checking the guidelines for what counts. It shouldn't effect your grade too much though don't worry.

Best of luck,
Jess - Digital Student Ambassador ARU
Reply 2
Original post by ARUStudents
Hey!

Universities do tend to stop marking after they have got to the word count. Anything over that +10% would not be marked. However, they only check the word count if they believe it looks like it is over. I would recommend emailing your professor and making them aware that you did not know tables were included. They may not be able to assist and it may continue to be marked that way but it is always good to let them know and ask for their support. In the future I would recommend always double checking the guidelines for what counts. It shouldn't effect your grade too much though don't worry.

Best of luck,
Jess - Digital Student Ambassador ARU

Thank you Jess - you've helped to ease my mind! I thought because it wouldn't be able to tick off the followed time/word limits on the rubric that it would mean I would be capped at a pass and I really worked hard on the essay! I will try and contact my professor. Thanks again!
Original post by Rosiedane12
I handed in an assignment less week that I thought was under the +10% word count, however I recently discovered that tables are included in the word count for my course, which would have made my essay 14% over. I have looked up my university guidelines to and according to my university, they will simply stop reading at this 10% mark. Is it worth emailing my professor to make him aware or wait until I have my feedback? And realistically how much could this possibly affect my grade? I'm worried I will get a low grade now simply because of this factor! Thank you!

Hey!

Don't worry, it's a very common mistake. I would recommend you to talk to your PAT (Personal Academic Tutor), Student Hub or any other academic support facilities in your university. They can provide you customized guidance according to your assignment, subject and university policies.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Reply 4
Original post by UoS PG students
Hey!

Don't worry, it's a very common mistake. I would recommend you to talk to your PAT (Personal Academic Tutor), Student Hub or any other academic support facilities in your university. They can provide you customized guidance according to your assignment, subject and university policies.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Thank you! My PAT is the one marking the assignment funnily. I will see where I can contact for some guidance. Thank you for your reassurance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending