The Student Room Group

Would A-Level Maths and Physics be helpful with Pilot training?

I'm looking into being a pilot, and did hear that pilots have to use a lot of maths and physics. If I were to apply, would doing A-Level maths and physics give me a considerable advantage over applicants who didn't?
Original post by stellonaplen
I'm looking into being a pilot, and did hear that pilots have to use a lot of maths and physics. If I were to apply, would doing A-Level maths and physics give me a considerable advantage over applicants who didn't?

To apply you need maths and physics or chemistry, mostly physics is preferred, this means you will not get any advantage over any other applicants as this is a requirement so if you don’t do it you won’t be able to apply for the degree. This is in context of aeronautical engineering or something of that kind however if you do an apprenticeship you can do any alevels as it doesn’t have a big impact
Hope that answers your question.
Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by AspiringSurvivor
To apply you need maths and physics or chemistry, mostly physics is preferred, this means you will not get any advantage over any other applicants as this is a requirement so if you don’t do it you won’t be able to apply for the degree. This is in context of aeronautical engineering or something of that kind however if you do an apprenticeship you can do any alevels as it doesn’t have a big impact
Good luck!

Hi! Thanks for the response. I'm actually looking into getting a scholarship with British Airways, and their website states you only need 6 GCSEs (including Maths, English and a science). No A-Levels/a university degree needed. That's why I was wondering if I'd find the training easier compared to someone else who also got the scholarship who didn't do A-Level Maths and Physics.
Good luck!

Hi! Thanks for the response. I'm actually looking into getting a scholarship with British Airways, and their website states you only need 6 GCSEs (including Maths, English and a science). No A-Levels/a university degree needed. That's why I was wondering if I'd find the training easier compared to someone else who also got the scholarship who didn't do A-Level Maths and Physics.

Ah ok sorry i dont know about that but if they are they saying its not required i would assume it wont be that hard, i hope someone else has a better answer to it sorry

the a levels u do dont matter
my mates doing pilot school and the. alvls dont matter
just make sure u got 130k for payment
Good luck!

Being a pilot is not the same as becoming an aerospace engineer.

Honestly I doubt it. The maths involved I gather isn't calculus or anything and I think it's more around making sure you understand the basic concepts behind readings and other data/information you will have in the cockpit.

Hi mate i am a pilot and currently doing my ATPL exams, you do not need them at all but they certainly help with understanding aircraft physics in depth. But they are not needed, the maths in atpl exams is gcse level.
Original post by aneer3wq3wt
the a levels u do dont matter
my mates doing pilot school and the. alvls dont matter
just make sure u got 130k for payment

you do not need 130k, you can do the modular route which you pay as you go and it can be done in the region of 70k.

Quick Reply

Latest