The Student Room Group

Medical ultrasound MSc

Hi

I have been offered a place onto the msc to study ultrasound. I will be funding this myself please can someone advise who has either started or completed a course whether it is worth it? And there is a guaranteed job at the end of it. As I’m worried about the uncertainty of getting a job after completing as I know most hospitals prefer to employ people with some sort of registration.

I hope this makes sense and would be grateful for any advise at this point as I am due to start in September!

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Mona112
Hi

I have been offered a place onto the msc to study ultrasound. I will be funding this myself please can someone advise who has either started or completed a course whether it is worth it? And there is a guaranteed job at the end of it. As I’m worried about the uncertainty of getting a job after completing as I know most hospitals prefer to employ people with some sort of registration.

I hope this makes sense and would be grateful for any advise at this point as I am due to start in September!

Thanks

Do you have qualifications in a health profession e.g. nursing/radiography degree and NMC / HCPC registration? I'm starting a degree in Diagnostic Radiography and have been researching becoming a Sonographer (ultrasound) and all the job advertisements I've seen require an appropriate health degree qualification plus an ultrasound post-grad qualification. But the best thing would be to ring the job advertisers and ask what qualifications they require, or ask the careers advisors/course providers at the university as they will know more about the profession.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
No I’ve got a degree in human biology, I’ve asked at the hospital and they’ve said there is a shortage of sonographers so there will always be a job opportunity. I think the course is tailored so that we can get jobs at the end of it. The course itself allow you to apply if you have a healthcare background a few people are working without any relevant registrations. But thank you for replying I will try calling them tomorrow
Reply 3
Original post by Mona112
No I’ve got a degree in human biology, I’ve asked at the hospital and they’ve said there is a shortage of sonographers so there will always be a job opportunity. I think the course is tailored so that we can get jobs at the end of it. The course itself allow you to apply if you have a healthcare background a few people are working without any relevant registrations. But thank you for replying I will try calling them tomorrow

The odd thing is that sonography isn't recognised as a profession by the HCPC so you wouldn't become registered after gaining the qualification. A previous degree in something like Radiography would qualify for HCPC registration. From what I've read in NHS job advertisements, they are usually looking for someone who is HCPC registered 'or equivalent' plus diploma/masters in ultrasound. Private clinics might not require this, but best to ask hospitals/university directly for their advice on whether lack of HCPC registration impacts on future prospects
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Working as a radiographer, I'm looking to do ultrasound msc. I know more hospitals are starting to employ non hcpc registered sonographers due to their shortage. Why don't you contact the ultrasound managers in hospitals in your area you would be interested in working for and ask if they currently employ non hcpc sonographers?
Reply 5
Hello There, Can I ask you how did you manage to find a placement?I am looking into sonography but most universities ask for a proof of clinical placement. There is a national shortage of sonographers so I am sure you will find the job.
Hi guys,

I’m thinking of applying to the medical ultrasound (echocardiography) Msc at imperial. Does anyone know how competitive it is and what kind of things should you mention in the personal statement?
Original post by AyubAhady
Hi guys,

I’m thinking of applying to the medical ultrasound (echocardiography) Msc at imperial. Does anyone know how competitive it is and what kind of things should you mention in the personal statement?

Hey did you apply? I'm also planning on applying next year
Reply 8
Original post by AyubAhady
Hi guys,

Did you manage to get through if yes, please would you let me know where your placements were?
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest