The Student Room Group

Maths A Level

Hi, im in y12 and I do AQA Maths A Level but I am struggling lots. The actual content is fine and I understand pretty much most of it but when it comes to the test and topic tests I do awful because I cant interpret the questions and I have no idea how to answer them despite having the knowledge.

So far I've got D, B, B, D on my tests and I really want to get an A at A2 as I'm applying to Computer Science at RGs. I have revised so much for all of the tests so far and done all the practice questions possible but I seem to just keep being bad at problem solving.

Does anyone know what I can do the fix this and get on track for an A in Maths and revision methods/advice to help me get there?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by skinfade123
Hi, im in y12 and I do AQA Maths A Level but I am struggling lots. The actual content is fine and I understand pretty much most of it but when it comes to the test and topic tests I do awful because I cant interpret the questions and I have no idea how to answer them despite having the knowledge.

So far I've got D, B, B, D on my tests and I really want to get an A at A2 as I'm applying to Computer Science at RGs. I have revised so much for all of the tests so far and done all the practice questions possible but I seem to just keep being bad at problem solving.

Does anyone know what I can do the fix this and get on track for an A in Maths and revision methods/advice to help me get there?

Are you able to start the questions?

This website is good: https://mmerevise.co.uk/a-level-maths-revision/
Reply 3

Problem solving can mean a variety of things and there isnt really a great deal at a level, though it is important to understand what the question is asking as well as thinking about what the relevant tools are to answer it. Its probably better to break it down (as usual) and maybe post/discuss questions you have trouble with as the knowledge for one topic may be quite different to that required for another topic. So maybe post a few questions (typical exam?) youre unsure about or have made a significant mistake on. Posting in f38 (maths forum) may be better.

A few things you could do

Repeat tests a few weeks after taking the original one, so check you have some memory/understanding about how to solve problems you couldnt do

Watch some people walking through (exam) questions and pay particular attending to how they describe/analyse the question and get started

drfrost (for instance) has a large number of (edexcel ....) questions which you can practice regularly (some every day?). Reflect carefully about ones you make mistakes on and maybe make a short note about things you get wrong and how you stop making the same mistake.

Ask questions in class (during or after) if youre unsure about how/why you use a technique, how its proved, ... so try not to sit there passively.

Reply 4

year 13 here!! i had the same problem is year 12 and what got me to an A predicted was realising that there’s a lot of repetition within papers! make sure you’re comfortable with all types of questions within a topic, once you understand all these styles, you’re able to apply the skills you got from these questions into any scenario.
the way i revise is:

watch a YouTube video first on chosen topic (TLMaths is my fave!!)

do questions on maths genie - they’re easier and help to understand the basics which is so so important

then complete topic questions on Jethwa Maths, they’re a little harder than maths genie but they really help in understanding the topic

then do questions on PMT. when correcting questions - always make sure you know how you messed up, if not, you will make the same mistake again - using different colours when marking really helps (eg. green = things i did right, orange = i was on the right lines or miscalculation red = i had no clue what to do)

i do edexcel but i’m sure AQA have a textbook with loads of exercises and questions - complete all of those after lessons

but don’t let topic tests make you question your maths ability, they’re always harder than the real papers! everyone always says that maths is all about practice, which is true to a certain extent, but making sure you actually understand why you’re working out certain things or using certain formulas is equally as important.

i hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by aalimk
year 13 here!! i had the same problem is year 12 and what got me to an A predicted was realising that there’s a lot of repetition within papers! make sure you’re comfortable with all types of questions within a topic, once you understand all these styles, you’re able to apply the skills you got from these questions into any scenario.
the way i revise is:

watch a YouTube video first on chosen topic (TLMaths is my fave!!)

do questions on maths genie - they’re easier and help to understand the basics which is so so important

then complete topic questions on Jethwa Maths, they’re a little harder than maths genie but they really help in understanding the topic

then do questions on PMT. when correcting questions - always make sure you know how you messed up, if not, you will make the same mistake again - using different colours when marking really helps (eg. green = things i did right, orange = i was on the right lines or miscalculation red = i had no clue what to do)

i do edexcel but i’m sure AQA have a textbook with loads of exercises and questions - complete all of those after lessons

but don’t let topic tests make you question your maths ability, they’re always harder than the real papers! everyone always says that maths is all about practice, which is true to a certain extent, but making sure you actually understand why you’re working out certain things or using certain formulas is equally as important.

i hope this helps :smile:

thank you, my main issue is really trying to understand where I should start and I struggle to find a path that'll get me to the answer. I think I need to just try and figure out patterns so when I see a similar ish question I know what to do based off a question I had previously done.

Quick Reply

Latest