The Student Room Group

Eduqas A-level English Literature Component 1 (A720U10-1) - 24th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Eduqas A-level English Literature Component 1 (A720U10-1) - Wednesday 24th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.
Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: Wednesday 24th May 2023 / PM
Length: 2h

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone else completely panicking about how much Donne there is to cover for tomorrow? And any guesses for the part i poem?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by beaquin
Anyone else completely panicking about how much Donne there is to cover for tomorrow? And any guesses for the part i poem?

How did you find it?? Which question did you do for poetry? (I do Larkin and Duffy)
Reply 3
Original post by Hajiraahm
How did you find it?? Which question did you do for poetry? (I do Larkin and Duffy)

For the first question I do Donne, which was ok, although I overran timewise a bit which was silly. Then for the second question I do Hardy and Eliot and I did the question about "detailed observations", but I didn't leave myself enough time so wrote my last two poems in 15mins and didn't have enough time for a conclusion which was frankly an awful experience. V stressful exam but just so glad it's over! Hoping that with my coursework and other papers I will be able to get my grade to an A* but I just don't know after that experience...

What questions did you do? Did you manage the time management any better than I did?
Reply 4
Original post by beaquin
For the first question I do Donne, which was ok, although I overran timewise a bit which was silly. Then for the second question I do Hardy and Eliot and I did the question about "detailed observations", but I didn't leave myself enough time so wrote my last two poems in 15mins and didn't have enough time for a conclusion which was frankly an awful experience. V stressful exam but just so glad it's over! Hoping that with my coursework and other papers I will be able to get my grade to an A* but I just don't know after that experience...

What questions did you do? Did you manage the time management any better than I did?

I study The Merchants Prologue and Tale so the first question was asking about what the extract suggests about the Merchant which was quite good since it’s the first page so there’s quite a lot to talk about but then after that it all went downhill. The second part of the question asked about how it’s comedic and I only managed to write one paragraph and then moved on to poetry since I was running out of time. For my Poetry I do Larkin and Duffy and I decided on the first choice about how the poets present past since I had no clue what the other question was asking. I managed to finish a couple of paragraphs but that was about it, I’m really bad with timing in all my exams so I knew that would put me in a bad position but glad it’s over.

Also I only ever do two paragraphs for each essay. What format do you do?
(edited 11 months ago)
Does anyone do paradise lost? I thought the extract was horrific and the question wasn’t particularly nice! The essay question was okay but very very narrow

On the other hand, the Plath and hughes questions were really good. Usually there’s only really bad question but both were accessible this year and I chose the second question so I could do Daddy/Lovesong and November/Wuthering heights lol
Reply 6
I study The Merchants Prologue and Tale so the first question was asking about what the extract suggests about the Merchant which was quite good since it’s the first page so there’s quite a lot to talk about but then after that it all went downhill. The second part of the question asked about how it’s comedic and I only managed to write one paragraph and then moved on to poetry since I was running out of time. For my Poetry I do Larkin and Duffy and I decided on the first choice about how the poets present past since I had no clue what the other question was asking. I managed to finish a couple of paragraphs but that was about it, I’m really bad with timing in all my exams so I knew that would put me in a bad position but glad it’s over.

Also I only ever do two paragraphs for each essay. What format do you do?

For question 1 part 1 I usually do about two sides, paragraph breaks wherever there is a stanza break.
For question 1 part 2 I usually do and intro, 3 poems and a conclusion for Donne, 1 or 2 paras on each poem.
For question 2 (the comparative essay) I tend to do an intro, a para on a Hardy poem, a para on an Eliot poem, a para on a different Hardy poem and then a para on a different Eliot poem + a conclusion, but didn't have time for a conclusion this time sadly.
Reply 7
Original post by beaquin
For question 1 part 1 I usually do about two sides, paragraph breaks wherever there is a stanza break.
For question 1 part 2 I usually do and intro, 3 poems and a conclusion for Donne, 1 or 2 paras on each poem.
For question 2 (the comparative essay) I tend to do an intro, a para on a Hardy poem, a para on an Eliot poem, a para on a different Hardy poem and then a para on a different Eliot poem + a conclusion, but didn't have time for a conclusion this time sadly.

Yes I do the same but wasn’t sure if my paragraph flowed this time since it all seemed a bit disjointed, for the Chaucer one I only managed to do one big paragraph and left it at that not even a conclusion because I ran out of time 😭
Reply 8

hi i do larkin and duffy too, i answered the question about how they present fellow humans with lack of compassion and rigorously honestly. what question did you do and what points did you make? x
Original post by katewindstep_
Does anyone do paradise lost? I thought the extract was horrific and the question wasn’t particularly nice! The essay question was okay but very very narrow

On the other hand, the Plath and hughes questions were really good. Usually there’s only really bad question but both were accessible this year and I chose the second question so I could do Daddy/Lovesong and November/Wuthering heights lol

Yeah - agree about the PL essay q, my points were awful! I did the nature q for Plath and Hughes and I did Tulips/The Thought Fox and Pike/the Moon and the Yew Tree
Reply 10
What did people think about the Donne questions? I think twicknam garden was a really good poem to come up and the 40 marker was quite good for discussion aswell
Reply 11
Original post by neha.baby.x
hi i do larkin and duffy too, i answered the question about how they present fellow humans with lack of compassion and rigorously honestly. what question did you do and what points did you make? x

I did the other question about how the past shapes experiences in the present and the poems I compared were Talking in Bed, Disgrace, Before you were mine and Love Songs In Age what about you?
Reply 12
Original post by Joseph_c
What did people think about the Donne questions? I think twicknam garden was a really good poem to come up and the 40 marker was quite good for discussion aswell

I agree that Twicknam garden was a good one, although I messed up my timing a bit as I overran on both parts of the Donne which interfered with my question 2 comparison answer :frown:
Reply 13
How did you guys find paper 2!
How did you guys find paper 2!

it was alright, what plays/questions did you do? and what did you write
Reply 15
it was alright, what plays/questions did you do? and what did you write

I did Tempest and Streetcar and Malfi what about you? I did the question on physical abuse and mental suffering
I did Tempest and Streetcar and Malfi what about you? I did the question on physical abuse and mental suffering

i did the question on physical abuse and mental suffering too!! what points did you make? i partly wrote about how blanche loses her mind whilst the duchess maintains hers
Reply 17
i did the question on physical abuse and mental suffering too!! what points did you make? i partly wrote about how blanche loses her mind whilst the duchess maintains hers

Yes I wrote something similar, in my first two paragraphs I went against the debate and argued about physical abuse through Stanley and Stella and duchess and Ferdinand and then I agreed with it and wrote two paragraphs on Blanche and Duchess losing their mind but Duchess still maintains her power till the end. I talked about the polka music for Blanche and the dead man’s hand and wax figures for Duchess.

How did you find the Gonzalo extract, personally it wasn’t my favourite
(edited 10 months ago)
Yes I wrote something similar, in my first two paragraphs I went against the debate and argued about physical abuse through Stanley and Stella and duchess and Ferdinand and then I agreed with it and wrote two paragraphs on Blanche and Duchess losing their mind but Duchess still maintains her power till the end. I talked about the polka music for Blanche and the dead man’s hand and wax figures for Duchess.

How did you find the Gonzalo extract, personally it wasn’t my favourite

i don't do tempest, i do hamlet! and we mentioned the same points, which is reassuring. all the best x
Reply 19
i don't do tempest, i do hamlet! and we mentioned the same points, which is reassuring. all the best x

Thank you, good luck in paper 3! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending