The Student Room Group

Which subject should I drop for Oxford PPE?

I'm currently in Year 12 and taking Maths, Economics, Philosophy, and History. I'm highly interested in Economics and Philosophy (I'm also very politically oriented) and I'd love to have the opportunity to continue with them next year. I hope to apply to Oxford PPE when the time comes.

For context, everyone in my sixth form takes 4 A-Levels but everyone who is not on 4 A*s are required to drop a subject. I like all of my subjects but History is the hardest for me. I'm on A*s or As for all of my subjects right now.

How important is History for the PPE application? Is it worth dropping? Or would it be a better idea to drop Philosophy? Or should I go ahead with 4 A-Levels?
Reply 1
Dropping history is fine, stick with philosophy if you’re more interested in it- I’m pretty sure it’s still a facilitating subject so they won’t hold it against you
Original post by Invictus11
I'm currently in Year 12 and taking Maths, Economics, Philosophy, and History. I'm highly interested in Economics and Philosophy (I'm also very politically oriented) and I'd love to have the opportunity to continue with them next year. I hope to apply to Oxford PPE when the time comes.

For context, everyone in my sixth form takes 4 A-Levels but everyone who is not on 4 A*s are required to drop a subject. I like all of my subjects but History is the hardest for me. I'm on A*s or As for all of my subjects right now.

How important is History for the PPE application? Is it worth dropping? Or would it be a better idea to drop Philosophy? Or should I go ahead with 4 A-Levels?

The only one you need to ensure you continue taking is maths. You can drop whichever of the other ones.

Original post by wjg05
Dropping history is fine, stick with philosophy if you’re more interested in it- I’m pretty sure it’s still a facilitating subject so they won’t hold it against you

The concept of facilitating subjects was retired by the originators, the Russell Group, exactly due to these kinds of misconceptions.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
The only one you need to ensure you continue taking is maths. You can drop whichever of the other ones.

The concept of facilitating subjects was retired by the originators, the Russell Group, exactly due to these kinds of misconceptions.

Right, thank you.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending