The Student Room Group

Help on whether to apply to Oxford or not

So I'm currently doing Maths, Economics and Chemistry and I did Biology during AS level but dropped it before end-of-years. I recieved ABB and most likely will be predicted A*AA, which meets Economics and Management's entry requirements and is one grade above the entry requirements for PPE. I truly think I could get A*A*A in my real a-levels as I go to a really competitive school (literally everyone wants to be a doctor/dentist/lawyer).
I'm not sure if I should use one of my five spaces to apply because I've been fearmongered into believing that the only people they interview are people who receive all A*s.

I got good grades in my GCSES where I went from being predicted 8888666665 to 9988888887 with a jump from 6 to 9 and another from 5 to 9. The problem is I compare myself to my school peers a lot and a lot received all 9s at GCSE and loads are most likely predicted all A*s which makes me rather worried.

Is there anyone who can give me advice on whether I can still compete for a place as I've done a fair amount of super-curriculars?
There are entrance exams for E&M and PPE. If you don't pass them, you wont even get an interview so I suggest looking at some of the past papers
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm currently doing Maths, Economics and Chemistry and I did Biology during AS level but dropped it before end-of-years. I recieved ABB and most likely will be predicted A*AA, which meets Economics and Management's entry requirements and is one grade above the entry requirements for PPE. I truly think I could get A*A*A in my real a-levels as I go to a really competitive school (literally everyone wants to be a doctor/dentist/lawyer).
I'm not sure if I should use one of my five spaces to apply because I've been fearmongered into believing that the only people they interview are people who receive all A*s.

I got good grades in my GCSES where I went from being predicted 8888666665 to 9988888887 with a jump from 6 to 9 and another from 5 to 9. The problem is I compare myself to my school peers a lot and a lot received all 9s at GCSE and loads are most likely predicted all A*s which makes me rather worried.

Is there anyone who can give me advice on whether I can still compete for a place as I've done a fair amount of super-curriculars?

Plenty of people receive offers without all A*s at A level or 9s at GCSE. They care far more about the TSA and interview scores. People really exaggerate how elitist Oxford admissions are, you'll be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by emilyalexandria
Plenty of people receive offers without all A*s at A level or 9s at GCSE. They care far more about the TSA and interview scores. People really exaggerate how elitist Oxford admissions are, you'll be fine.

Thank you, I tend to be a bit jittery since ik a lot people in my year want to apply as well. I'm visiting oxford tomorrow, do you think I should ask how they score interviews, or is that perhaps too forward?
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you, I tend to be a bit jittery since ik a lot people in my year want to apply as well. I'm visiting oxford tomorrow, do you think I should ask how they score interviews, or is that perhaps too forward?

It probably wouldn't be much help, unless you're meeting the tutors for your subject. In the interview, they'll mainly be observing your critical thinking skills and how you approach new information. You can't really prepare beforehand using scoring criteria. They're trying to separate your preparation and educational history from your natural ability.
Apply to Oxford :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending