The Student Room Group

history to Law conversion course??

I would like to become a barrister, but love history, is there a way i could do history for three years, earn a degree, and convert into law in order to be a barrister
Original post by Dirtygerty80
I would like to become a barrister, but love history, is there a way i could do history for three years, earn a degree, and convert into law in order to be a barrister

Hi @Dirtygerty80

Absolutely! So, I did an English Lit degree, then did a law conversion in the form of a MA Law (conversion) which is a one year course. Having completed that, I am currently studying the Bar Practice Course and should qualify as an unregistered barrister in the summer (fingers crossed!). So, all I now need to do is obtain Pupillage 🙂 It is now a very common route for people to study a different undergrad and then convert to law later on.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie
I studied history. I have been a barrister for many millions of years since then. Half of the barristers knocking around in the UK don't have law degrees, and history degrees are common as muck amongst barristers.

Studying history provides a good foundation for a career at the Bar. Two opposing barristers trying to persuade a Judge are like two rival historians contending that their version of what happened is the right one. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending