The Student Room Group

Advice on finance budgeting for uni year 2

Hi, I'm a first year university student, next year I'm moving off campus with a current flatmate, the flat will be £148 pwpp, (all bills included) and the tenancy is 52 week, this means i will have £78 a year for food, and travel, i dont have a Nightlife,. Which is £1.50 a week. Which also means I won't really be going back to my parents that year since a coach is £25 minimum. My parents don't financially support me at all. I have applied for the dsa (dyslexia, dyspraxia) havnt heard back yet but even so I doubt I'd get any support for anything outside of my learning disability. Also, there's a chance my loan could be lower next year, because my mum changed jobs, she was working fulltime made redundant, working part time, working full time, so they're income would be higher since the new job is more hours then the old (full time) job. Anyone got advice on living on a small budget?
Original post by Switch_frm430
Hi, I'm a first year university student, next year I'm moving off campus with a current flatmate, the flat will be £148 pwpp, (all bills included) and the tenancy is 52 week, this means i will have £78 a year for food, and travel, i dont have a Nightlife,. Which is £1.50 a week. Which also means I won't really be going back to my parents that year since a coach is £25 minimum. My parents don't financially support me at all. I have applied for the dsa (dyslexia, dyspraxia) havnt heard back yet but even so I doubt I'd get any support for anything outside of my learning disability. Also, there's a chance my loan could be lower next year, because my mum changed jobs, she was working fulltime made redundant, working part time, working full time, so they're income would be higher since the new job is more hours then the old (full time) job. Anyone got advice on living on a small budget?

Have you checked your uni's website to see if you are eligible for a bursary? Can you find cheaper accommodation if you've not already signed a contract? Find a job for a few hours per week and ask your parents if they would pay for the coach trip home (or ask them to come and see you). :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
Have you checked your uni's website to see if you are eligible for a bursary? Can you find cheaper accommodation if you've not already signed a contract? Find a job for a few hours per week and ask your parents if they would pay for the coach trip home (or ask them to come and see you). :smile:

Posted on Reddit aswell and it seems the consensus it to get a part time job 😭
But I can get through it plus I had one during A levels, so I could buy a laptop for uni so I have experience and a reference so I hope it makes it easier. My parents wouldn't spend 6 hours on a coach to come see me lmao (they don't own a car) and I can't see them paying for a coach for me. Sadly I'm not eligible for any bursaries 😭 and as far as acom goes we really didn't want to live somewhere sharing one bathroom between six like this year so we wanted a flat and this was like the cheapest we could get, plus it's nice so the accommodation stays.
Thanks for replying :smile:
Original post by Switch_frm430

Hi,

Budgeting during university can be incredibly difficult but a few tips that have helped me have been
-Shopping in cheaper food stores such as Aldi or Lidl or if you are a Blue lights card holder, shopping at Asda when they do their blue lights savings
-Meal prepping saves a lot of money as you know exactly what you will be having each day which eliminates the temptation to order food
-Getting.a part-time job be that in a shop, a bar or with the university such as being a student ambassador to try and increase your income to make living a little more affordable.

I hope this is of some assistance,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending