The Student Room Group

Which is more prestigeous Bristol or Exeter?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by username6736141
I have heard exeter ranks higher on average and some say its better but was surprised at this, I always personally thought Bristol is the more prestigious uni and if you look at the stats that matter, its harder to get into bristol and it requires higher grades, so i was wondering what was the cause of the disparity?

Why does it matter? Employers don't care. They are just interested in what you know, what skills you have and how you will bring value to their business. A single word (Exeter or Bristol) on your certificate will make absolutely no difference.
As I always say with threads like these, what do you define as prestige and what are you looking to get out of your time at university?

The rankings means squat tbf as they can vary each year. Some years they might be in the top ten, others not. Exeter performs well on the domestic rankings but not as well on global rankings. Bristol usually appears well inside the top 100 globally. But it's worth pointing out that the global rankings place great emphasis on research output so universities that might be viewed as prestigious in their respective countries (and globally to be fair) might not rank as highly, I'm thinking places like Exeter, Durham, St Andrews, and in the US places like Georgetown, Dartmouth and Brown. This might be a bigger deal at the postgraduate level but not so much for the undergraduate level.

If you want to look at factors like say Nobel Laureates affiliated to each university, Bristol as a very small number about 13 affiliated of which only 2 actually studied and graduated from Bristol. Exeter has none I believe. But this shouldn't be a make or break factor. Exeter on the other hand can count members of the royal family amongst its alumni, if you're into that kind of thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending