The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

I dropped out of college - want to start university.

Hi, I am currently working in the motor trade (dropped out of college as I was offered a full-time high paid job) and had an epiphany that I want to continue studying as I have fallen pregnant and will not be returning to work. I will be going on my maternity leave in July and wont return once my maternity entitlement ends.

(I am 19 turning 20 in Oct if this is useful information to anybody.)

Because I didn't get any qualifications higher than GCSE level, what are my options? I am considering the Open University as a lot of their courses do not have formal entry requirements and I can apply with just my GCSES, it would also help when I have my baby that I don't have to go to in-person lectures.

What would you recommend me to do? I have looked at Primary Education at the OU as it is something I would be more than happy to pursue a career in, but I am also open to pursuing anything that sparks an interest in me.

I am a blank space at the moment
Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, I am currently working in the motor trade (dropped out of college as I was offered a full-time high paid job) and had an epiphany that I want to continue studying as I have fallen pregnant and will not be returning to work. I will be going on my maternity leave in July and wont return once my maternity entitlement ends.

(I am 19 turning 20 in Oct if this is useful information to anybody.)

Because I didn't get any qualifications higher than GCSE level, what are my options? I am considering the Open University as a lot of their courses do not have formal entry requirements and I can apply with just my GCSES, it would also help when I have my baby that I don't have to go to in-person lectures.

What would you recommend me to do? I have looked at Primary Education at the OU as it is something I would be more than happy to pursue a career in, but I am also open to pursuing anything that sparks an interest in me.

I am a blank space at the moment
Any advice?

It would really depend on what you specifically want to study and what specific degree course that you want to do at which specific uni.

I am hesitant in giving you random recommendations without knowing your specific circumstances.

If you want to do a BEd in Primary Education (good luck with that by the way), usually the unis accept a wide variety of qualifications for the courses, including:

A Levels

BTECs

Access to HE

Open Uni Credits - might need to check on this though

A Levels are by far the most widely accepted Level 3 qualification, but they can be pricey if you want to study specific subejcts and you intend to do them privately. There should still be some adult colleges available to you that still teach this to 19+ year olds.
BTECs can be studied at college, but you might need to pay for this if you have already done a level 3 before, which you can fund with Advanced Learner's Loan.
Access to HE is usually the recommended qualification for mature students (19+), but it can get a little complicated with entry requirements if the uni doesn't accept just any Access course. However, funding for this is usually available provided that you go straight to uni right after the course.
BTECs and Access courses are not always accepted, and if they are accepted by the uni they aren't always accepted for all courses. For example, you would have a very hard time getting onto a physics or maths degree with BTECs and Access.

If you can be really specific about what degree that you want to do (if it's not just Primary Education), at which uni, and for what specific job, then I can try to point you in the right direction.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest