The Student Room Group

In a confusing situation not sure what to do

I'm not sure if I'm writing this in the correct place, but I'm really stuck, and I don't know what to do.

In 2022, I finished college at 18, completing a game design course that I loved and hoped to pursue as a career. I was particularly drawn to the programming aspect, although I enjoyed all aspects of the course. Unfortunately, I didn't achieve the grades required to get into a university. Looking back, I realize I could have explored options like clearing more thoroughly, but that's in the past now.

I took a year off and, in August of this year, applied to another college offering a computing course that included programming. I thought it would be a good starting point since I still wasn't sure about my career path. Computing is a broad field, so I believed it would provide more flexibility in case I wanted to change directions. To pursue this course, I needed to get a loan, which I was willing to do.

Here's where the problem arises. When I started college, the course was changed to a T Level. I discovered on Thursday that the loan I need doesn't cover T Levels, so I had to choose a different course. My options are now Esports, media, or games design. I'm not interested in media or Esports, and I don't want to pay for a course I've already completed elsewhere, so I'm unsure of what to do.

I've considered dropping out and applying for university through clearing, but there's only one university that offers the exact course I'm interested in. Unfortunately, my parents won't allow me to attend that university because they want me to follow my sister. However, that university doesn't offer a course that I'm interested in. As far as I know, the loan situation hasn't been resolved yet. The college staff member I spoke to said he would email me updates, but I'm unsure of the current status.

I really don't know what to do at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.
Are the courses at these universities like esports not flexible in their modules that you would enjoy?

Richard Montgomery.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending