The Student Room Group

Dropped out of uni, back at square one

I dropped out of university in February because I developed mental and since then my life has spiralled - I have no friends, nothing to really look forward to and I feel like my family are deeply disappointed in me. My anxiety is through the roof. I met some nice people at uni but we haven't kept contact that much after I left. I'd love to see them again but I just feel like it would be a little awkward... I've started working at a shop recently and that's been okay, but I've not met anyone I really gel with yet. I've felt so bad that I've reapplied for September this year as a last resort because I'm scared that it is going to be like this for the next three years. Any advice for this horrid situation? Do you think I should go back to uni, wait this out or do something else? Just feeling so stuck at the moment. :frown:
Reply 1
sorry, that should be *mental problems in the beginning, aha its getting late i should really go to sleep
Reply 2
You need to choose what you really want.

If your mental health was bad enough that you had to drop out, restarting but with all else identical probably won't turn out.

You could choose to leave it for a year or two and rejoin when your mental health is better. I'll be starting uni in 2024 by which time I'll be 21. It's not the end of the world if you need some time to recover
Reply 3
Original post by FUCC69420
You need to choose what you really want.

If your mental health was bad enough that you had to drop out, restarting but with all else identical probably won't turn out.

You could choose to leave it for a year or two and rejoin when your mental health is better. I'll be starting uni in 2024 by which time I'll be 21. It's not the end of the world if you need some time to recover

yeah, thing is I can commute to a local uni this time around, so it would be easier than staying in accommodation (which sort of is what contributed to my mental health going a bit downhill as well as the fact that I was studying in a city that was hundreds of miles away) so maybe I'd notice a change there and things would start to improve. oh well, I'll just have to see how things play out for me in a month or two :/
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
yeah, thing is I can commute to a local uni this time around, so it would be easier than staying in accommodation (which sort of is what contributed to my mental health going a bit downhill as well as the fact that I was studying in a city that was hundreds of miles away) so maybe I'd notice a change there and things would start to improve. oh well, I'll just have to see how things play out for me in a month or two :/

It might be worth you contacting the Uni you are thinking of applying to, and speaking to to their student welfare people. They will be able to provide you with details of what support they provide to their students, and by talking to them about the reasons why felt the need to stop your previous course, they may be able to offer you some good advice bearing in mind the specific demands of your chosen course with them. Hopefully talking this through will give you some better perspective, and help you to turn things around. Good luck.
Original post by Anonymous
I dropped out of university in February because I developed mental and since then my life has spiralled - I have no friends, nothing to really look forward to and I feel like my family are deeply disappointed in me. My anxiety is through the roof. I met some nice people at uni but we haven't kept contact that much after I left. I'd love to see them again but I just feel like it would be a little awkward... I've started working at a shop recently and that's been okay, but I've not met anyone I really gel with yet. I've felt so bad that I've reapplied for September this year as a last resort because I'm scared that it is going to be like this for the next three years. Any advice for this horrid situation? Do you think I should go back to uni, wait this out or do something else? Just feeling so stuck at the moment. :frown:

I would take a gap year out fully refocus and recover your mind and then reapply for university it is never too late for anything.
Reply 6
Original post by Mohammed_80
I would take a gap year out fully refocus and recover your mind and then reapply for university it is never too late for anything.

yeah, that's what I'm trying to do now - i'm also going to be completing a short course at UAL for fashion journalism soon, so maybe that might pick me up a bit and give me some confidence in deciding what to do next.. and also get me back to learning. I'm just getting pretty fed up of myself, it's like everyone is having the time of their lives at uni but I had no choice but to drop out because I was so unhappy so now I'm in a position where I'm in a rut and have no idea what to do with myself. My mind is really foggy now, it feels like my life has just gone off on the wrong track completely.
Reply 7
I believe that we should prioritize ourselves. Our mental well being is something that other people can't see and not all can relate. Your family may be disappointed but did you tell them why you dropped out? Maybe, they would understand and support you. Maybe not. We have to reach out when we can no longer take it. If they dont listen, dont feel bad. If they did, you'll feel better. Its the same with people you met at uni. You dropped out but you can still try to reach out to them. You have to take the first step to help yourself recover from your mental problems. If you dont help yourself, no one would. People can only give you advises but it is up to you to put it into action.you
Reply 8
Original post by rodiane17
I believe that we should prioritize ourselves. Our mental well being is something that other people can't see and not all can relate. Your family may be disappointed but did you tell them why you dropped out? Maybe, they would understand and support you. Maybe not. We have to reach out when we can no longer take it. If they dont listen, dont feel bad. If they did, you'll feel better. Its the same with people you met at uni. You dropped out but you can still try to reach out to them. You have to take the first step to help yourself recover from your mental problems. If you dont help yourself, no one would. People can only give you advises but it is up to you to put it into action.you

I did tell them, they seemed okay with it at first and even happy that I made the decision because I was too far away from home and they were getting worried, but I think they're getting a little sick and tired of me now. They don't really want to talk to me anymore. The atmosphere is really awkward because they know that kids my age are at uni right now and I'm sat at home with them, like I shouldn't be there. My brother is attending college at the moment so he has something to be doing, both my parents work all day and then there's me sitting at home, lonely and doing nothing because I'm still trying to sort my life out at a dead-end road. I've tried taking steps to recover and better myself, like applying for apprenticeships (refused from nearly all of them), looking at other courses (thinking of going back to college to do a one-year course) and again reapplying for uni but I still feel a little lost. It also feels like my parents have forgotten that I was going through a really tough time at university, because they're acting like it didn't happen and I'm going to get back on track as fast as possible, but I think I need some more time to figure things out.
Reply 9
I know how you feel, but remember, first step is always the hardest. take a baby step to start over on the new uni and see how it will work for you.
Just because you can commute doesn’t mean that you have to. You can still try moving out into student housing for first year to see how it works. There’s always the option to move back home if it doesn’t work out.

Alternatively you could start off commuting but keep an eye out for accommodation vacancies that students are looking to fill because they are dropping out. Often these can be a real bargain because the rent has already been paid for a term.
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
Just because you can commute doesn’t mean that you have to. You can still try moving out into student housing for first year to see how it works. There’s always the option to move back home if it doesn’t work out.

Alternatively you could start off commuting but keep an eye out for accommodation vacancies that students are looking to fill because they are dropping out. Often these can be a real bargain because the rent has already been paid for a term.

Thanks for the advice :smile: I was already thinking that I wouldn't be commuting for all three years, but rather move into student housing/accommodation in my second year perhaps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending