The Student Room Group

Want to drop out but not 100% sure

So I’m currently one year into a three year creative writing uni course (living at home to save money) and I’m pretty miserable here. I don’t really get on with anyone as the one girl I got on with dropped out (my friends don’t go uni), the schedule of my classes makes finding a job so difficult and I’m just not enjoying the course. I honestly dread going in and the last few months I’ve been feeling pretty low. I did the course as I enjoy writing but since being here it’s killed my passion, and there’s not many jobs going in the industry/it’s too competitive.
I really want to drop out and go into work full time as I’ve done research into Estate Agency and that seems like a career that resonates with me. Plus I want to be able to fund my own lifestyle properly and start saving- I live at home and since having to quit my other job I’m now only doing weekends at a pub and barley make enough to get by.

The only thing keeping me at Univeristy is my parents. I never wanted to go then randomly changed my mind after college, and they’ve been excited about it ever since as they never went themselves. I’ve tried telling them I want to leave and whilst they said it’s my choice they basically guilt trip me and go all quiet, it just upsets me so I’ve given up. I tried telling my mum again today that in the holidays I was going to work part time at an estate agency and if I liked it I was going to quit university, but again I got radio silence. Am I making the right decision? Is it worth just sticking around to get the degree?
There’s no need to drop out.

Just suspend your studies for a year, try out the alternative and see how you feel later on.

Keeping your options open is easy in this situation.
Original post by Anonymous #1
So I’m currently one year into a three year creative writing uni course (living at home to save money) and I’m pretty miserable here. I don’t really get on with anyone as the one girl I got on with dropped out (my friends don’t go uni), the schedule of my classes makes finding a job so difficult and I’m just not enjoying the course. I honestly dread going in and the last few months I’ve been feeling pretty low. I did the course as I enjoy writing but since being here it’s killed my passion, and there’s not many jobs going in the industry/it’s too competitive.
I really want to drop out and go into work full time as I’ve done research into Estate Agency and that seems like a career that resonates with me. Plus I want to be able to fund my own lifestyle properly and start saving- I live at home and since having to quit my other job I’m now only doing weekends at a pub and barley make enough to get by.

The only thing keeping me at Univeristy is my parents. I never wanted to go then randomly changed my mind after college, and they’ve been excited about it ever since as they never went themselves. I’ve tried telling them I want to leave and whilst they said it’s my choice they basically guilt trip me and go all quiet, it just upsets me so I’ve given up. I tried telling my mum again today that in the holidays I was going to work part time at an estate agency and if I liked it I was going to quit university, but again I got radio silence. Am I making the right decision? Is it worth just sticking around to get the degree?
Hi there!

It sounds like you're in a tough spot. If you're truly unhappy and have found a career path that resonates with you, it may be worth considering making a change. Your happiness and well-being should come first. However, it's important to weigh the pros and cons carefully and consider discussing your decision further with a career advisor or trusted mentor. Ultimately, the decision is yours to make, but make sure it's one you're comfortable with in the long run.

-Natasha
2nd Year Dietetics, University of Hertforshire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending