The Student Room Group

Sidney Sussex College Cambridge 2024 offer-holders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by melancollege
So, the official position is that you're not allowed a job, but I think this refers to like part-time jobs in a café. I used to, and a lot of my friends still do, tutor a few hours a week. Cambridge tutors are very much in demand and if you have a LinkedIn, you may get a fair few invitations (depending on your subject and profile). I am also an ambassador, both with the university as a whole. I don't think it's particularly competitive but I do Maths which is quite a popular subject with not many ambassadors so supply-and-demand helps me out. I feel like being an ambassador isn't especially competitive though, and it is freelance so you just pick out the jobs you like, some of which (e.g. summer schools) may be more competitive than giving a tour to a visiting school group.
Also, our full terms are only eight weeks long with maybe a week on either side to settle in and finish up. Most Sidney students don't even have a room in Cambridge for 22 weeks of the year so the holidays are definitely long enough to work in and save up. You would also get a maintenance loan and the university is generous with bursaries.

hi, i know you mentioned that your friends tutor on linkedin whilst at cambridge, and didn’t know if you have any advice on how to set this up on a way that works for students (as in what to put on the profile, how to connect etc) since i’m planning on doing this when studying at sidney but am confused at the logistics of it so thought i’d ask :smile:
Original post by arc.ne
hi, i know you mentioned that your friends tutor on linkedin whilst at cambridge, and didn’t know if you have any advice on how to set this up on a way that works for students (as in what to put on the profile, how to connect etc) since i’m planning on doing this when studying at sidney but am confused at the logistics of it so thought i’d ask :smile:

I just mentioned that I was a tutor in the 'About' section and then put my tutoring experiences on there like I would any other job. There is an 'Open to Work' option but I've never used that. I think recruiters just scour LinkedIn looking for potential tutors. There are also various other private tutoring sites that you can specifically apply for but I haven't used any of them properly so I cannot advise on them. One of my longer-term tutees actually went to my college (sixth form college not Sidney) and I just got them by asking my old Maths teacher to let me know if there was anyone who expressed a desire in having a tutor.
Reply 62
I just mentioned that I was a tutor in the 'About' section and then put my tutoring experiences on there like I would any other job. There is an 'Open to Work' option but I've never used that. I think recruiters just scour LinkedIn looking for potential tutors. There are also various other private tutoring sites that you can specifically apply for but I haven't used any of them properly so I cannot advise on them. One of my longer-term tutees actually went to my college (sixth form college not Sidney) and I just got them by asking my old Maths teacher to let me know if there was anyone who expressed a desire in having a tutor.
thank you so much for your help!! :smile: for the type of position, do you put freelancer when adding the experience?
Original post by arc.ne
thank you so much for your help!! :smile: for the type of position, do you put freelancer when adding the experience?

That's what I put. I'm no expert on LinkedIn so it may be wrong but most people know what tutoring is anyway.
Reply 64
That's what I put. I'm no expert on LinkedIn so it may be wrong but most people know what tutoring is anyway.
thank you so much for your help :smile:
Original post by arc.ne
thank you so much for your help :smile:

No problem, let me know if there's anything else :smile:
has anyone heard about the offer holder day? only I know some other colleges have already had theirs and wondered if ours was confirmed yet :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by Anonymous #2
has anyone heard about the offer holder day? only I know some other colleges have already had theirs and wondered if ours was confirmed yet :smile:
I still haven't heard anything about the offer holder day or sending any documents/copies/info etc... Has anyone else heard anything? I think I'll email them this week at some point about both.
Original post by Mjb6
I still haven't heard anything about the offer holder day or sending any documents/copies/info etc... Has anyone else heard anything? I think I'll email them this week at some point about both.
Nope, has anyone firmed Cambridge yet? You reckon they may send updates once you firm it?
Original post by Anonymous #5
Nope, has anyone firmed Cambridge yet? You reckon they may send updates once you firm it?
I’ve firmed and still heard absolutely nothing from them :frown: i really wanna go and meet people in person! My friend went to the Pembroke one and it seemed so fun!
Reply 70
Original post by Anonymous #5
I've firmed cambridge and still heard nothing. I'm gonna email soon if nothing comes through.
Reply 71
Original post by Anonymous #2
I’ve firmed and still heard absolutely nothing from them :frown: i really wanna go and meet people in person! My friend went to the Pembroke one and it seemed so fun!
Same! I wanna see the college in person as well seen as though I've never been
Reply 72
Original post by Mjb6
it's 14th april
Reply 73
Original post by sexml13
it's 14th april
Yeah I received an email on Monday about it. Thank you! Has everyone else received the email?
Reply 74
Original post by Mjb6
Yeah I received an email on Monday about it. Thank you! Has everyone else received the email?
yes!! so exciting!
Reply 75
Hii who's going to the in person offer holder day this Sunday?
Reply 76
Original post by Mjb6
Hii who's going to the in person offer holder day this Sunday?

I am! Are you going? :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by glh123
I am! Are you going? :smile:

Yayyy! Yeah I am! Have you ever been to Sidney before? Also what subject did you get an offer for (can't remember if you've already said so sorry if you have haha)?
Reply 78
Original post by Mjb6
Yayyy! Yeah I am! Have you ever been to Sidney before? Also what subject did you get an offer for (can't remember if you've already said so sorry if you have haha)?

yes i’ve visited sidney once or twice! I got my offer for history! How about you? also sorry if you’ve already said haha
Reply 79
Original post by glh123
yes i’ve visited sidney once or twice! I got my offer for history! How about you? also sorry if you’ve already said haha

Oh cool! What did you think of it? And congrats on your offer for history! My offer is for asian and middle eastern studies (Chinese)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending