The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL second year accomodation

Hi - thinking of accepting an offer from KCL and starting there this year. However, I am really concerned about whether I will be able to find somewhere to live in the second year.
I'm especially worried that I will not be able to find anywhere affordable so I was just hoping for some advice. Where do people typically live during their second and third years?
Reply 1
Second year KCL student here! From my experience and my friends, it's a real mix of where people end up, and I'm not going to say it's easy to find somewhere affordable enough (especially if you're on a low budget like me) but it's definitely possible! I'm in private (as in non-uni) student accommodation this year and next, there's a lot out there and as long as you're looking kind of December-February time there's still a decent amount open (I was looking in March last year and lots of things were booked up so don't leave it that late lol). Pretty much the entire rest of my friend group tried to get KCL accommodation, but that didn't open until late for returning students and then very few people I know are still there, at least for the cheaper options - I have a couple of friends in the more expensive ones/who are on the affordable accommodation scheme.

So I would say if you're looking for something on the cheaper end, probably not best to try and get in a KCL one because it meant my friend group were all trying to find flats right in exam season, because obviously there's the first year guarantee so not many places available for later years. But now they're in private flat shares close to the uni, which I think works out about the same as what I'm paying and they have the benefit of being in walking distance from campus.

Ultimately, I'm not going to pretend looking for accommodation isn't stressful, but there are lots of options available and as long as you start early enough it isn't too bad. Don't let it hold you back! :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by cyberhex
Second year KCL student here! From my experience and my friends, it's a real mix of where people end up, and I'm not going to say it's easy to find somewhere affordable enough (especially if you're on a low budget like me) but it's definitely possible! I'm in private (as in non-uni) student accommodation this year and next, there's a lot out there and as long as you're looking kind of December-February time there's still a decent amount open (I was looking in March last year and lots of things were booked up so don't leave it that late lol). Pretty much the entire rest of my friend group tried to get KCL accommodation, but that didn't open until late for returning students and then very few people I know are still there, at least for the cheaper options - I have a couple of friends in the more expensive ones/who are on the affordable accommodation scheme.
So I would say if you're looking for something on the cheaper end, probably not best to try and get in a KCL one because it meant my friend group were all trying to find flats right in exam season, because obviously there's the first year guarantee so not many places available for later years. But now they're in private flat shares close to the uni, which I think works out about the same as what I'm paying and they have the benefit of being in walking distance from campus.
Ultimately, I'm not going to pretend looking for accommodation isn't stressful, but there are lots of options available and as long as you start early enough it isn't too bad. Don't let it hold you back! :smile:

hey, when did they open the portal for returning students approx.?
Reply 3
Original post by laurenk29
hey, when did they open the portal for returning students approx.?

I believe it was the end of March/early April last year but I could be wrong I do know that my friends’ applications were rejected/they couldn’t get any places around the beginning of may so it was sometime around there
Original post by cyberhex
I believe it was the end of March/early April last year but I could be wrong I do know that my friends’ applications were rejected/they couldn’t get any places around the beginning of may so it was sometime around there

okay, thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest