The Student Room Group

Cambridge Grants

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a grant from the university or your college for travelling to the uni? (I'm from NI so if it is possible to get grants to cover flights it would be great to know) I spoke to some students at the Open Day and they told me how they were able to get funding to cover costs of flights to and from the university between term times. I'm not sure if this is true or how you would even apply for it as I have seen no info on it. Any advice is greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a grant from the university or your college for travelling to the uni? (I'm from NI so if it is possible to get grants to cover flights it would be great to know) I spoke to some students at the Open Day and they told me how they were able to get funding to cover costs of flights to and from the university between term times. I'm not sure if this is true or how you would even apply for it as I have seen no info on it. Any advice is greatly appreciated :smile:

I've never heard of it as a routine thing. Plenty of overseas students don't go home every vacation because of the cost. It's the sort of thing you'd have to speak to someone in College about when you were there, and demonstrate hardship - presumably travelling home would be cheaper than living in College accommodation though. They'd need to see you were managing your money well, and that your costs on the cheapest possibly route were still much more than say a train to northern Scotland or Cornwall. You could try contacting the specific Colleges you were interested in and asking, but as I say, it's not a routine thing and would likely require you to show the hardship need.

You can get support as an applicant though - ask the College for that, if you select one that interviews in person.
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice!
Were those costs the students said were being covered for them to go home, or to fly to go and do fieldwork, undertake research, etc? I believe modest travel grants for the latter kinds of activities are available at most colleges (although not guaranteed all students will be able to get one), but I think for just going home and then back to the uni as above, it might be unlikely. No harm in asking about it though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending