The Student Room Group

How to make a living as an A-level student with child visa.

I am going to start studying in the UK for A levels this fall, and I was wondering what opportunities to make money I have, having child visa. Am I allowed to work in a part time job, if yes how can I apply and would anyone hire me? I can also work during mid-term breaks. I am currently 16 years old. Any suggestions on how to earn some money?

Thank you 😊
You will need to carefully check the terms of your visa, or contact UKVI to check. It will depend entirely on those terms.

Note in general work for under 18s is somewhat limited and poorly paying. I highly doubt you will be able to wholly support yourself if you have no other financial support.
It’s not really about wholly supporting myself, but rather getting some experience as well as earning some pocket money. But I guess it is better to wait until I will be 18 and enter the university?

Thank you for your reply
Original post by Panda378
It’s not really about wholly supporting myself, but rather getting some experience as well as earning some pocket money. But I guess it is better to wait until I will be 18 and enter the university?

Thank you for your reply

If it's just a matter of casual work for some experience and a bit of money, then as long as your visa doesn't preclude you from doing so that's probably fine. It will mostly just be like, retail/food service type roles...but everyone starts somewhere. Obviously though usually businesses are aiming to benefit themselves so in terms of flexibility regarding hours etc, you should probably anticipate that you won't get much support in that if you needed/wanted to change things (beyond taking your statutory annual leave at least).

You may also consider volunteering positions at charity shops or similar (especially if your visa does not allow you to undertake paid work) as a way to get some experience. This also makes things a bit easier if you wanted to "take a break" for a month or so around exams for example, as you can just tell them you aren't available for that period and then let them know when you are available again (whereas in paid work you probably won't have sufficient annual leave to take that much time off, and they usually can't/won't accommodate such an extended request for unpaid leave).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending