The Student Room Group

SED Huddersfield

I was wondering if anyone has done or currently doing the sed at Huddersfield I messed up all my exams big time so I don’t even think I’ll meet my offers . Apparently I heard it’s like a levels but more intense I already wasted a whole gap year just to flop my resits again . I keep seeing threads on this but no one replies saying they actually passed the sed and are onto pharmacy/optometry . Does anyone know who has
Original post by Leah76929
I was wondering if anyone has done or currently doing the sed at Huddersfield I messed up all my exams big time so I don’t even think I’ll meet my offers . Apparently I heard it’s like a levels but more intense I already wasted a whole gap year just to flop my resits again . I keep seeing threads on this but no one replies saying they actually passed the sed and are onto pharmacy/optometry . Does anyone know who has

Hi,
I have just completed the SED. I managed to get 70% needed to go onto study optometry/pharmacy. In terms of difficulty and work load, a lot of it is like A-Levels, but I personally found it nowhere near as difficult having done science a levels prior to the SED. The work load is high but if you stick to a strict timetable you’ll find it’s actually quite manageable. There is a lot of coursework whilst also doing exams.
If you want to know more feel free to pm me.
Reply 2
What are the exams like ?
What are the exams like ?

The exams are actually quite straightforward, you are provided with practice questions which need to be completed before support sessions or tutorials, the exams are very similar to these types of questions. For coursework there is a lot including an e portfolio, presentations, essays, lap reports I personally found the coursework harder as it’s more styled towards university I.e. you need to learn how to reference, choosing the right sources etc..
Reply 4
Original post by OptomStudent20
The exams are actually quite straightforward, you are provided with practice questions which need to be completed before support sessions or tutorials, the exams are very similar to these types of questions. For coursework there is a lot including an e portfolio, presentations, essays, lap reports I personally found the coursework harder as it’s more styled towards university I.e. you need to learn how to reference, choosing the right sources etc..

How many people on average in the entire course pass the 70% mark?
Reply 5
Do u know any people in the course who’ve got like 68-69%?
How many people on average in the entire course pass the 70% mark?

This can vary year to year, 15 places are guaranteed for optometry and pharmacy each. If you go by them numbers on a cohort of 280 students, you’re looking at around 10% of students getting onto either optometry or pharmacy. If you achieve less than 70% you are placed on a waiting list and will be told whether you have a place after a level results day. I personally know a couple of people who missed out on 70%, getting 68/69% they unfortunately never got a place, so it is quite competitive.
Reply 7
That made me feel sick . Well I’m fd

im in same position rn ive accepted offer for SED idk if i should decline and resit alevels if the SED is more difficult
Reply 9
Original post by yanan69.corm
im in same position rn ive accepted offer for SED idk if i should decline and resit alevels if the SED is more difficult

I re sat my alevels and didn’t do well - my fault completely so I’m resorting to do the sed which I regret all the stupid decisions that lead up to me being here . I know people who re sat a long with me who did worst than last year . If you’re gunno resit put %110 in and ignore everyone else’s judgement and work ur ass off . Do the sed if you think you won’t do so well in the re sit or might get the same grade . But with the people I’ve spoken too sed is really competitive and risky .
I re sat my alevels and didn’t do well - my fault completely so I’m resorting to do the sed which I regret all the stupid decisions that lead up to me being here . I know people who re sat a long with me who did worst than last year . If you’re gunno resit put %110 in and ignore everyone else’s judgement and work ur ass off . Do the sed if you think you won’t do so well in the re sit or might get the same grade . But with the people I’ve spoken too sed is really competitive and risky .

Hi Leah,

Sorry to hear you're having worries about the course. Our Science Extended Degree is designed to support those who maybe didn't get the grades required for those courses onto a Science course with us. It is also a good opportunity to help you prepare for a full degree. The level that it is designed for, is to bridge the gap between A Level study and degree level study so it will help make that transition into a full degree a little simpler- on the course page it says the academics on the course will "equip you with the skills that will be the foundations for your further studies."

Like you say it is a competitive course and there are achievement requirements to progress on to other courses but if you're ready to work for that 70% and progress on to your desired course, which it seems like you have the determination to do, it can be achieved.

Best of luck with the SED and we hope the end result of your SED year is progression for whatever course you want to go on to :smile:

Many thanks,
Lewis

UoH
Reply 11
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi Leah,

Sorry to hear you're having worries about the course. Our Science Extended Degree is designed to support those who maybe didn't get the grades required for those courses onto a Science course with us. It is also a good opportunity to help you prepare for a full degree. The level that it is designed for, is to bridge the gap between A Level study and degree level study so it will help make that transition into a full degree a little simpler- on the course page it says the academics on the course will "equip you with the skills that will be the foundations for your further studies."

Like you say it is a competitive course and there are achievement requirements to progress on to other courses but if you're ready to work for that 70% and progress on to your desired course, which it seems like you have the determination to do, it can be achieved.

Best of luck with the SED and we hope the end result of your SED year is progression for whatever course you want to go on to :smile:

Many thanks,
Lewis

UoH

So in order to do pharmacy after the SED course, would I have to complete the full 4/5 years?
Reply 12
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi Leah,

Many thanks,
Lewis

UoH

Sendb
Reply 13
Original post by OptomStudent20
Hi,
I have just completed the SED. I managed to get 70% needed to go onto study optometry/pharmacy. In terms of difficulty and work load, a lot of it is like A-Levels, but I personally found it nowhere near as difficult having done science a levels prior to the SED. The work load is high but if you stick to a strict timetable you’ll find it’s actually quite manageable. There is a lot of coursework whilst also doing exams.
If you want to know more feel free to pm me.

hi,
hope you are well
I am a biology chemistry psychology student and are predicted B/B/D (D in chemistry) but I have applied to the course with the intentions of progressing into optometry and have some questions as to the course if it's ok with you.

in terms of exams is it 5 separate exams?
(Maths and Physics /Biology /Chemistry/Scientific Investigations /Science Skills)

also in terms of maths and physics how much is it different to GCSE and would you recommend that during my summer that I learn some of the Alevel maths/physics?

also in terms of E-portfolio what does that entail i.e. is just a powerpoint or more like a report style information ?

did you get a lot of help or were just expected to know the information?

finally what was your timetable like?

sorry for the long reply.
Reply 14
Original post by issy_1232
hi,
hope you are well
I am a biology chemistry psychology student and are predicted B/B/D (D in chemistry) but I have applied to the course with the intentions of progressing into optometry and have some questions as to the course if it's ok with you.

in terms of exams is it 5 separate exams?
(Maths and Physics /Biology /Chemistry/Scientific Investigations /Science Skills)

also in terms of maths and physics how much is it different to GCSE and would you recommend that during my summer that I learn some of the Alevel maths/physics?

also in terms of E-portfolio what does that entail i.e. is just a powerpoint or more like a report style information ?

did you get a lot of help or were just expected to know the information?

finally what was your timetable like?

sorry for the long reply.

Hi, I was wondering if your questions got answered? If not i can answer them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending