The Student Room Group

Reapplying to Cambridge

Just got rejected from Peterhouse for Philosophy (not pooled to my knowledge) and am feeling kinda lost about what to do post A Levels. Before applying, I was pretty adamant I didn't want to take a gap year, but the more I think about it, I'm considering reapplying and spending a year out. I've got offers for Southampton, Leeds, York and Lincoln but I'm struggling to choose between the first two for a firm - maybe because I don't have the excitement about them like I did for Cambridge? My worries for taking a gap year are that a. I'd be doing it for the wrong reason (most of it is motivated by reapplying, although also maybe to avoid burnout), b. I'd be wasting a year as I'm not entirely sure what I would do yet, and c. that I would likely just get rejected a second time. I definitely struggled the most with the interview, but I partly think I just got asked particularly bad questions as my mock interview went a lot better than the real thing.

Is it worth doing a gap year and reapplying, or should I just make the most of Southampton or Leeds? I'm predicted A*A*A and A* in EPQ, which I think I can get.
Perhaps go through the process until results day, then have another think once you know your actual results?
I took a year off and reapplied. I'd say it's only worth it if you don't waste the year. Like more than likely you'd get rejected again but if you're willing to take the risk, willing to drop the offers you have currently and don't think you will waste the year doing sod all then it's not the worst thing in the world to do. But if you decide to, don't make the year about reapplying, make the most of the year and have the reapplication be an extra. Also don't be one of those people who just tries again and again, I've seen people on this site getting rejected 4 years in a row

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending