The Student Room Group

missed my cambridge offer, should i reapply?

i missed my offer by 7 marks. the grade boundaries especially for maths this year were extremely harsh, any other year i would've gotten straight A*s. i did biology (A*) maths (A) chemistry (A) and epq (A*). i am so adamant to get onto this course, i found it in year 8 and it has the perfect balance of topics for my quite specific passions. no other uni course is quite as satisfactory, it just happened that the only one i liked was very competitive. the rigorous teaching style at cambridge also compelled me, i want to have to argue my ideas to someone much smarter than me in a supervision, i want harsh criticism and being broken down to build myself up, i want crazy contact hours and full days in the lab, im not interested in a slower paced degree, i really love to be stretched to the limit. i applied and got an offer for A*A*A. i was predicted straight A*, i was getting them all throughout year 13. i was confident i was going to get it. my confidence plummeted this morning when i got my grades and an declined offer. i have been corresponding back and forth with the admissions team at the college but i still dont know what to do. do i take a year to work, save money, retake maths and chemistry (because i am not happy with A's regardless of if i got in or not), reapply (meaning new personal statement, new entrance exam, new interview, more waiting) and try again? and at least if it doesnt work out again i will be in a better financial position to go to either edinburgh or sheffield next year. or do i just take my insurance (edinburgh). i live in the very south so it's too far away for my parents to visit and it will be hard to move in and out, plus the bachelor's is 4 years, and i don't like the course that much. and it's not what i've been envisioning and preparing myself for for the last 8 months. has anyone else reapplied and been successful? does retaking 2 subjects look bad on my record or do they like the determination? do i have any chance? i got good nsaa scores and my interviews were competitive and i believe i can do it better this time, but i just want to know if it's worth it. i dont know what happened with my grades, i've never done this badly in any set of tests. im in despair and as a person who loves having a plan, i am lost. any help or advice would be much appreciated.
A) Have you heard of paragraphing?
B) Who is your insurance?
C) I myself would not waste my time reapplying.
Original post by Anonymous
i missed my offer by 7 marks. the grade boundaries especially for maths this year were extremely harsh, any other year i would've gotten straight A*s. i did biology (A*) maths (A) chemistry (A) and epq (A*). i am so adamant to get onto this course, i found it in year 8 and it has the perfect balance of topics for my quite specific passions. no other uni course is quite as satisfactory, it just happened that the only one i liked was very competitive. the rigorous teaching style at cambridge also compelled me, i want to have to argue my ideas to someone much smarter than me in a supervision, i want harsh criticism and being broken down to build myself up, i want crazy contact hours and full days in the lab, im not interested in a slower paced degree, i really love to be stretched to the limit. i applied and got an offer for A*A*A. i was predicted straight A*, i was getting them all throughout year 13. i was confident i was going to get it. my confidence plummeted this morning when i got my grades and an declined offer. i have been corresponding back and forth with the admissions team at the college but i still dont know what to do. do i take a year to work, save money, retake maths and chemistry (because i am not happy with A's regardless of if i got in or not), reapply (meaning new personal statement, new entrance exam, new interview, more waiting) and try again? and at least if it doesnt work out again i will be in a better financial position to go to either edinburgh or sheffield next year. or do i just take my insurance (edinburgh). i live in the very south so it's too far away for my parents to visit and it will be hard to move in and out, plus the bachelor's is 4 years, and i don't like the course that much. and it's not what i've been envisioning and preparing myself for for the last 8 months. has anyone else reapplied and been successful? does retaking 2 subjects look bad on my record or do they like the determination? do i have any chance? i got good nsaa scores and my interviews were competitive and i believe i can do it better this time, but i just want to know if it's worth it. i dont know what happened with my grades, i've never done this badly in any set of tests. im in despair and as a person who loves having a plan, i am lost. any help or advice would be much appreciated.

this is tough
hope things are a bit clearer a few days on
Original post by Anonymous

Hello. I'm very sorry to hear you are disappointed with your grades.

The general Cambridge advice for resits is this:
"We understand that you might need to resit an exam or retake an AS or A level unit.

However, we'd be concerned if you have to retake a lot of exams. This is because Cambridge students are regularly assessed by exam and it's not normally possible to resit them. An exception to this is for professional qualifying examinations in Medicine and Veterinary Medicine.

If you need to retake a lot of exams because of circumstances beyond your control, your teacher should explain this. They can do this in your UCAS reference and the Extenuating Circumstances Form."

It might be worth discussing with your school whether a remark would be appropriate for any of your papers. It may not be, but it is an avenue you can explore.

UCAS Clearing is still open, so if you're not sure about your insurance choice you could have a look around at other options, and see if there is something that might be a better fit.

Ultimately, it's your decision whether you would like to reapply. You will be feeling extremely disappointed right now, however most people end up loving the university they go to, even if it was not quite what they were expecting initially. Take some time to discuss your options with your school and your family. It will all be ok! :smile:
Reply 4
I would really urge you not to go to Edinburgh if you don't like the course and don't like the distance. You will have a rubbish time. I know it's too late to say this, but you're supposed to pick an insurance choice that you like.

Reapplying is your best bet, I think, because you can have another go at Cambridge and pick some alternative universities which you would actually want to go to. If you spend your gap year working, then it will be really beneficial to you - you'll earn some money, and have a year's worth of experience on your CV after graduation. Juggling this with a retake will be tough, of course, but your school should support you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending