The Student Room Group

Retaking Year 12 (and moving Sixth Form?)

Hey there
So I'm currently a year 12 student and I've realised I've picked the completely wrong subjects for A levels. Right now I'm studying maths, econ and english language. But I'd like to study some form of science at uni (preferably pharmacy) and would therefore need chemistry and/or biology. So I wanna take up chemistry next year and definitely drop english lang - but I'm definitely keeping economics because it's my strongest subject - so I might drop maths too and take up BOTH chem and bio along with economics.
I have spoken to my school and this is completely possible seeing as I got 87 in my science gcse BUT I am considering transferring to another school when restarting year 12 this September. This is due to a few reasons, the main one being that it is the best state school in my city. It's results are amazing, most students receive AAB in their A-levels, most of them studying at Russel universities (and many of them even go onto study at Oxbridge). This of course means the school are very selective about who attends their Sixth Form, but I would say my gcse results are quite strong so I have a good chance. However, would this school frown upon the fact I'm 'indecisive' and want to retake a whole year?? I want a fresh start but I don't want to get my hopes up..
Any advice?? Thanks 😊
Reply 1
Hello,

I say it is worth a shot at applying to the other Sixth Form, if you do not get accepted, you can always just restart the year at your current school whilst swapping your subjects.

They may ask for the reason why you want to restart the year, as long as you are honest about your future, there shouldn't be any issue with it. If you do not get accepted, you can still end up with amazing grades at your current school if you study hard. 🙂

There is also the option of continuing your current A-Levels but applying to do a foundation year science course at uni, it is worth checking this out since the foundation year will teach the A-Level content you would have missed and many russell group universities do offer this, considering you have a STEM subject (Mathematics) and strong GCSEs you should be eligible.

Hope this helps,
Original post by jman3456
Hey there
So I'm currently a year 12 student and I've realised I've picked the completely wrong subjects for A levels. Right now I'm studying maths, econ and english language. But I'd like to study some form of science at uni (preferably pharmacy) and would therefore need chemistry and/or biology. So I wanna take up chemistry next year and definitely drop english lang - but I'm definitely keeping economics because it's my strongest subject - so I might drop maths too and take up BOTH chem and bio along with economics.
I have spoken to my school and this is completely possible seeing as I got 87 in my science gcse BUT I am considering transferring to another school when restarting year 12 this September. This is due to a few reasons, the main one being that it is the best state school in my city. It's results are amazing, most students receive AAB in their A-levels, most of them studying at Russel universities (and many of them even go onto study at Oxbridge). This of course means the school are very selective about who attends their Sixth Form, but I would say my gcse results are quite strong so I have a good chance. However, would this school frown upon the fact I'm 'indecisive' and want to retake a whole year?? I want a fresh start but I don't want to get my hopes up..
Any advice?? Thanks 😊

Hey @jman3456!

First off, I would definitely apply to the other school - as Aceful pointed out, it's at least worth a shot, and you're certainly not the only student who hasn't instantly picked the 'right' A-Levels for themselves.

But before you decide which subjects to drop or switch though, I'd make sure to take a closer look at what the entry requirements are for the Pharmacy courses you're interested in. Some might want Maths and Biology, others might want just one science A-Level - others might be more focused on what grades you achieve in each subject. Foundation years are also a good option to consider - for example, the Science Foundation Year at Kingston allows students with non-science based qualifications to take a foundation year and then go onto courses such as BSc Biochemistry, BSc Pharmacology and BSc Pharmaceutical Sciences. 🙂

Do you have an idea which universities you'd like to apply to in the future? That might help make the decision of which A-Levels to take on/drop a bit easier.

Eve (Kingston Rep).
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest