The Student Room Group

Choosing a tablet or laptop for uni

What are some recommendations for tablets or laptops to get for uni: starting in 2024, going into y13 in September and looking to do a 5 year course, please?

Course: Engineering or Economics
Budget: £500
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by StudyWithPete
What are some recommendations for tablets or laptops to get for uni: starting in 2024, going into y13 in September and looking to do a 5 year course, please?

Hi @StudyWithPete,
I had to face this same decision before I started my 3 year Geography degree, so thought I'd offer a few tips on what helped me to find the right laptop. Firstly, I emailed my university course lead as to what software I'd be using on my course, and if they'd recommend a certain laptop (in Geography we use a lot of GIS software, and I even got a reply from the departments IT lady on what features my laptop would need to support this). Secondly, consider the memory your laptop will need to have to support the applications you use, whilst factoring in how you can use usb's and other things too. Thirdly, consider your preferences in terms of whether to have a touchscreen and in where the video camera is located. Personally, I settled on a HP Pavilion, but I saw all sorts of laptops/ipads in the classroom, so there is certainly no one size fits all.
Best of Luck.
Megan
Geography BSc (Hons) Graduate
Reply 2

Around £500:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Vivobook-X1500EA-i5-1135G7-Windows/dp/B09X6RWTWZ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3FTCA8H58D3DU - Really good and has intel Xe Graphics

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Vivobook-M1603QA-16-0-WUXGA/dp/B0BN8K7S9X/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3FTCA8H58D3DU - More Powerful CPU and a little less graphical power

A little over budget at £550:
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo-v15-g3-aba-ryzen-7-16gb-512gb-ssd-15.6-inch-fhd-windows-11-pro-lapto-82tv0042uk/version.asp
Reply 3
Original post by UniOfLincolnStudent
Hi @StudyWithPete,
I had to face this same decision before I started my 3 year Geography degree, so thought I'd offer a few tips on what helped me to find the right laptop. Firstly, I emailed my university course lead as to what software I'd be using on my course, and if they'd recommend a certain laptop (in Geography we use a lot of GIS software, and I even got a reply from the departments IT lady on what features my laptop would need to support this). Secondly, consider the memory your laptop will need to have to support the applications you use, whilst factoring in how you can use usb's and other things too. Thirdly, consider your preferences in terms of whether to have a touchscreen and in where the video camera is located. Personally, I settled on a HP Pavilion, but I saw all sorts of laptops/ipads in the classroom, so there is certainly no one size fits all.
Best of Luck.
Megan
Geography BSc (Hons) Graduate

Thank you very much Megan! I will make sure to check with universities about the laptops / tablets they recommend.
Reply 5
Thank you very much @NeoGalaxy

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending