The Student Room Group

St Dominics

Hey, I'm currently applying for St Doms and was just wondering how the teachers are there? At my current school many of the teachers say that St Doms doesn't focus on you as much and I was wondering as to how true this is? Please helpppppp
Original post by slay24008
Hey, I'm currently applying for St Doms and was just wondering how the teachers are there? At my current school many of the teachers say that St Doms doesn't focus on you as much and I was wondering as to how true this is? Please helpppppp

I don't go to St Dom's but many of my friends do, I go to one close by though. From what I've heard your teachers are somewhat true saying that teachers focus less on individual students because there are just so many people in a year group (like many hundreds), but that wouldn't degrade the quality of learning that I have seen, I mean a lot of people from the sixth for do get into the top Russel Group universities. I'd say look at the culture around the sixth form because it tends to be quite different to high school, have you been to see the sixth form?
Reply 2
Original post by _yeet_potato
I don't go to St Dom's but many of my friends do, I go to one close by though. From what I've heard your teachers are somewhat true saying that teachers focus less on individual students because there are just so many people in a year group (like many hundreds), but that wouldn't degrade the quality of learning that I have seen, I mean a lot of people from the sixth for do get into the top Russel Group universities. I'd say look at the culture around the sixth form because it tends to be quite different to high school, have you been to see the sixth form?

Heyy thanks for replying!! I went to the open day and the sixth form seemed good (ie it had very good facilities and so). I also tried to talk to students but they were less receptive/ quite vague with their answers :frown:. I'm quite familiar with the heavy workload in sixth form, but am unsure as to how a new environment would impact it as well, so how did your friends find this change?
Heyy thanks for replying!! I went to the open day and the sixth form seemed good (ie it had very good facilities and so). I also tried to talk to students but they were less receptive/ quite vague with their answers :frown:. I'm quite familiar with the heavy workload in sixth form, but am unsure as to how a new environment would impact it as well, so how did your friends find this change?

I had the same experience when I went to their open day too, still don't know why lmao. But the heavy workload in sixth form is natural for all, no matter what sixth form you choose, if you want good grades you will have to work much harder than at GCSE level. Honestly, I think everyone's stressed as hell (specifically yr13), no matter what sixth form, but if you are a social person or find a good and secure group of friends/study partners then I think you'll be fine, though the environment may be different it's natural and a good experience (even if you're thinking of going to uni/work). Off the top of my head, one of my friends expanded her group of friends, she's naturally quite sociable and fits in with the social crowd. But another of my friends is not social at all, didn't have a secure group of friends when she was at high school and decided to leave for St Doms, and now she's happier than ever, got a new group of friends and is more secure in herself. Though these are only two cases, and there may be people who don't fit with the crowd, the overall impression I have is that it is a good place socially.
Reply 4
Original post by _yeet_potato
I had the same experience when I went to their open day too, still don't know why lmao. But the heavy workload in sixth form is natural for all, no matter what sixth form you choose, if you want good grades you will have to work much harder than at GCSE level. Honestly, I think everyone's stressed as hell (specifically yr13), no matter what sixth form, but if you are a social person or find a good and secure group of friends/study partners then I think you'll be fine, though the environment may be different it's natural and a good experience (even if you're thinking of going to uni/work). Off the top of my head, one of my friends expanded her group of friends, she's naturally quite sociable and fits in with the social crowd. But another of my friends is not social at all, didn't have a secure group of friends when she was at high school and decided to leave for St Doms, and now she's happier than ever, got a new group of friends and is more secure in herself. Though these are only two cases, and there may be people who don't fit with the crowd, the overall impression I have is that it is a good place socially.

Oh okay tyyy so much <33. Also yeah I still don't know why they were so rude lmaoo
Reply 5

I got to Doms, and it's probably true that the teachers don't focus on you as much as they did in secondary because it is so big. But you have to bear in mind that even though there are so many students, there are also a lot of teachers. All of my teachers are pretty supportive, and know me pretty well tbh. Most of the teachers do make an effort to get to know you, so don't let that deter you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending