The Student Room Group

Student life

Is it okay to sometimes feel like you want to quit uni? I'm in that space right now please help
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are feeling this way.

University, like many things, can have ups and downs. Sometimes it can be really difficult. Remember that it is exam season at the moment, which is probably the most difficult time of the year, with assignment and exam worries. We are also coming to the end of the year which can be a time of great uncertainty for many people - waiting for grades, not sure of summer plans, scared about the next academic year etc...

My advice when you are feeling like this is to make sure you are engaging in enjoyable things outside of your degree. Are you in any societies? Are there any clubs you could join to have other things to focus on? Do you have any hobbies that might help you to relieve some stress? Also, look out for any help you might be able to receive from the university itself. There is usually a student support team who might be able to give some guidance on how to improve these feelings for you, or give you some advice on what else you might be able to do. Make sure to keep in contact with your friend/family/support network, but also remember that you are not the only one struggling especially at this time of year, so you are not alone!

If you are seriously considering dropping out of university, make sure you speak to all the relevant people - this might be course convenors, faculty officers, student support etc. These people should be able to help you with the process if that is something you want to do.

Best of luck,

Abbie
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador
Original post by sammykerre
Is it okay to sometimes feel like you want to quit uni? I'm in that space right now please help

Hi @sammykerre

I'm sorry you're having a hard time with this right now. I understand what you are talking about as it's easy to feel like you want to quit, yes it is also completely ok and a normal reaction for a student sometimes! What I would say is to take a moment and try to recognise exactly what about it is making you feel this way so you can then tackle it effectively. I find that helps me as sometimes I am stressed out and don't even really know why until I take a minute to figure it out.

I would also say though, if you really are struggling and have went to all of the resources that the uni offer (like student support) and you still feel like it isn't right for you then there is also no shame in having to figure out what is the right next step for you.

Do you know what in particular is making you want to quit?

Emily
First Year Creative Writing Student

100%
Yes
For sure
Sooo normal
Don’t even worry
Why do you feel like you want to quit?

Emily <3
@sammykerre

What happened?

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Hello, my name is Aimee and I am a third year criminology and criminal behaviour student:smile:

I am sorry to hear that you are not enjoying your university experience, every experience is unique and it is what you make it.

First, ask yourself what it is that you are not enjoying about uni? Is it your degree, feeling lonely or stressed with exams and essays? If so there are many solutions to help you whilst at university. It is about seeking help and people often will help you, in my experience everybody is always happy to help.

Make sure you are balancing your university work, home life and other commitments like part time work. Throughout my three years I have found that I keep the weekends to myself and an hour or two in the week evenings after work. It is important that you do things that you enjoy because university can be stressful especially when waiting for exam results.

It’s the summer now, so take some time and have some fun. Take a break from hard studying and look at your options. For example, if it’s your degree choice can you transfer to another if you really are not enjoying it :smile:

It is always important to reach out for help, I cannot stress that enough. If you feel serious about leaving university please speak to your tutors, support team and anybody else who can help you. I have faith that someone will help you enjoy your uni experience.

All the best, Aimee xox

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending