The Student Room Group
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

Course Switch

Hello everyone,
Could someone please tell me if I can switch courses after getting my CAS and getting my student visa. I start in November and I am having second thoughts about my choice. Do they allow it at University of Wolverhampton?
Original post by Steve_08
Hello everyone,
Could someone please tell me if I can switch courses after getting my CAS and getting my student visa. I start in November and I am having second thoughts about my choice. Do they allow it at University of Wolverhampton?

I'm going to ignore the CAS / student visa thing for a moment, and just focus on the course change first.

Universities will typically allow you to switch courses before the course has started if (a) there is space on the course you want to switch to, and (b) if you meet the entry requirements for the new course.

You can obviously check whether you meet the entry requirements for the new course yourself, but you'll need to phone them to establish whether there's still space on the course you're thinking of switching to. (When you make this call, you may as well ask them about their course switch policy and the implications for your CAS and student visa.

Depending on the nature of the course switch, you may need to apply for a new student visa. This will be the case if the new course ends on a date after which your visa is due to expire, or if the new course is not related to the original course. (If it not related, you might not not need a new visa if the new course support a genuine career aspiration and you can write a short statement in support of that.)

It is my understanding that a CAS is issued for a given course, so that would likely need to be reissued.

Are your second thoughts really worth all this hassle? What course switch are you considering? From which course to which course?
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
Reply 2
You need to contact Wolverhampton asap.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
I'm going to ignore the CAS / student visa thing for a moment, and just focus on the course change first.

Universities will typically allow you to switch courses before the course has started if (a) there is space on the course you want to switch to, and (b) if you meet the entry requirements for the new course.

You can obviously check whether you meet the entry requirements for the new course yourself, but you'll need to phone them to establish whether there's still space on the course you're thinking of switching to. (When you make this call, you may as well ask them about their course switch policy and the implications for your CAS and student visa.

Depending on the nature of the course switch, you may need to apply for a new student visa. This will be the case if the new course ends on a date after which your visa is due to expire, or if the new course is not related to the original course. (If it not related, you might not not need a new visa if the new course support a genuine career aspiration and you can write a short statement in support of that.)

It is my understanding that a CAS is issued for a given course, so that would likely need to be reissued.

Are your second thoughts really worth all this hassle? What course switch are you considering? From which course to which course?

Hi there ,
Thank you for your well-explained reply. I am from the ACCA background and opted to go for MSc Data Science for my PG, since with the growing importance of data analytics and use of computer assisted audit techniques, I truly felt like this would add tremendous value to my current profile since I already have tons of experience in audit and accountancy. But now I am having second thoughts about it, thinking whether someone like me without adequate knowledge on IT could really have a go at the course.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Steve_08
Hi there ,
Thank you for your well-explained reply. I am from the ACCA background and opted to go for MSc Data Science for my PG, since with the growing importance of data analytics and use of computer assisted audit techniques, I truly felt like this would add tremendous value to my current profile since I already have tons of experience in audit and accountancy. But now I am having second thoughts about it, thinking whether someone like me without adequate knowledge on IT could really have a go at the course.

Well, they obviously thought "someone like (you) without adequate knowledge on IT could really have a go at the course", else they wouldn't have accepted you onto it.

All those with a pure Computer Science background are probably thinking the same thing, wondering "whether someone like me without adequate knowledge of data and data analysis could really have a go at the course."

Have some faith in yourself! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
Well, they obviously thought "someone like (you) without adequate knowledge on IT could really have a go at the course", else they wouldn't have accepted you onto it.

All those with a pure Computer Science background are probably thinking the same thing, wondering "whether someone like me without adequate knowledge of data and data analysis could really have a go at the course."

Have some faith in yourself! :smile:

Thank you. That's reassuring. I'll look at my options after talking to the Uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending