The Student Room Group

Switching Courses at Uni?

How difficult do you think switching courses while at uni or on results day is for somewhere like Imperial or Bath? Such as from EEE to physics. Does anyone have any experience switching their courses?
Original post by Cryoasis
How difficult do you think switching courses while at uni or on results day is for somewhere like Imperial or Bath? Such as from EEE to physics. Does anyone have any experience switching their courses?

If you applied for one course but have an offer and want to be considered for another course, contact the uni now and ask if they can consider you for the other course. The long you wait, the less chance you will have of being able to switch as places are filled!
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
If you applied for one course but have an offer and want to be considered for another course, contact the uni now and ask if they can consider you for the other course. The long you wait, the less chance you will have of being able to switch as places are filled!

Thanks for your reply, what if I want to change courses during my time at uni, would that be very difficult?
Thanks for your reply, what if I want to change courses during my time at uni, would that be very difficult?

It could range from relatively straightforward to impossible.

I know that isn't useful but it depends on the unis policy about transfers, your grades, and whether the other course is full.

There is absolutely no guarantee you would be able to do that - if you wouldn't be happy continuing with the course you originally applied for I would not advise proceeding on the expectation you may be able to switch.
If it's a backup plan if EEE ends up not being your thing, yes, it's worth asking as it might be possible. But if you are planning a move before even enrolling then as above, you shouldn't be joining on the assumption that it'll be okay to move.
Reply 6

Could be very difficult as they would’ve already accepted you onto the EEE course. However as the entry requirements are probably quite similar for EEE and Physics in terms of subjects and grades, it might be possible if you call them up on results day. I applied for a maths degree at 3 RG uni’s and received an email from one of them on results day saying that I could switch to mathematical physics if I wanted to, however it’s probably quite rare for that to happen. You have a much better chance of switching if you complete the first year in EEE and pass it with a decent score. Or you could just apply to a different university entirely through clearing on results day. There will be lots of places available for physics through clearing, there was last year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending