The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine Applicant thread 2025 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Elizabeth200
I just want to be sure, how do you count work experience? Like 1 week is 5 days in a row or 5 days in total? If I do a Monday and Tuesday then wait a week and do another Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday is that two weeks or one? How many hours do I have to work for it do count as a day? Sorry if this is a stupid question I’m just double checking. Thank you.

I count my experience in hours and then if I need to I can translate that into weeks as 5 day weeks which are each 7 hrs so 35hrs/week.

I'm going to leave my work experience so far here :smile:
52 hrs at a small animal vet clinic
20 hrs of clinical experience (small animal hospitals) at the RVC
11.5 hrs of non-clinical experience (farm, equine, exotics) at the RVC
20hrs at a riding school (hoping to get a bit more this summer)
+ I've got a week of lambing planned for the first week of April!

Any recs for possible work experience I could look for would be helpful! I don't live in the UK so it's difficult for me to find places that will accept me since work experience is not very common in other countries in Europe. (I was very lucky to manage to get lambing experience in the UK and stay with my aunt)

*also def not a stupid question, interpreting all the different requirements each uni has can be a challenge *
(edited 2 months ago)
I just want to be sure, how do you count work experience? Like 1 week is 5 days in a row or 5 days in total? If I do a Monday and Tuesday then wait a week and do another Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday is that two weeks or one? How many hours do I have to work for it do count as a day? Sorry if this is a stupid question I’m just double checking. Thank you.

Honestly some universities do it differently. Most did 8h= a day 5 days= a week so I did cats protection for 4 hours every Saturday for like 3 months or something to make it count for a week.

Most places do it on hours so doing a few days each week would count towards 1 week. But I would go on the universities website to see if you can find uni specific information and if you can’t Find it you can always email the university and ask!
Original post by marti3x
I count my experience in hours and then if I need to I can translate that into weeks as 5 day weeks which are each 7 hrs so 35hrs/week.

I'm going to leave my work experience so far here :smile:
52 hrs at a small animal vet clinic
20 hrs of clinical experience (small animal hospitals) at the RVC
11.5 hrs of non-clinical experience (farm, equine, exotics) at the RVC
20hrs at a riding school (hoping to get a bit more this summer)
+ I've got a week of lambing planned for the first week of April!

Any recs for possible work experience I could look for would be helpful! I don't live in the UK so it's difficult for me to find places that will accept me since work experience is not very common in other countries in Europe. (I was very lucky to manage to get lambing experience in the UK and stay with my aunt)

*also def not a stupid question, interpreting all the different requirements each uni has can be a challenge *

For other recs it depends on what you are interested in! Zoo placements, abattoirs and research are all good places to look into and I would check that your hours count towards a week for each uni but you are definitely on the right track!
Original post by marti3x
Hello! I am a 2025 vet med applicant, I am an IB student studying HL: Biology, Chemistry and English Lit & SL: Economics, Spanish B and Math AA. I attended RVC's Pre-Vet Summer School last summer and absolutely loved it, I would highly recommend it! I am a UK citizen living in the EU and I am most likely applying to RVC, Surrey, Liverpool and Bristol. I would love to talk to more students looking to apply in 2025, so send me a message any time! :smile:

Hi! I hope to study vet med in England as an international student ( I am neither taking IB/A level) I currently haven’t met the grade requirement of RVC (but I am definitely working on it to reach the minimum grade in my later exam before submitting the ucas deadline!!) I just want to ask if it is possible for me to be accepted for the rvc’s pre-vet summer school? Thanks a lot!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Doublestars
Hi! I hope to study vet med in England as an international student ( I am neither taking IB/A level) I currently haven’t met the grade requirement of RVC (but I am definitely working on it to reach the minimum grade in my later exam before submitting the ucas deadline!!) I just want to ask if it is possible for me to be accepted for the rvc’s pre-vet summer school? Thanks a lot!

Yes it's definitely possible! Applications opened recently I think, I'll leave the link at the bottom. All you need is to "be on track" to achieving the grades not necessarily have them already. On top of that if you don't study in an English speaking school you might need to provide additional English qualifications. There is also a personal statement they will use to assess you. If you have any questions at all feel free to reach out to me and PM me!

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/study/rvc-is-open-for-all/visit-us/pre-vet-summer-school
Reply 25
Original post by icebear05
hey I am hoping to study vet med in 2025 but I feel very behind on work experience as I only have a week at small animal clinic and help out at a horse riding centre but in the summer I do have a farm work experience lined up. Please let me know how many more hours/weeks I need and what type of work experiences I should apply for

Hello - I have been accepted by all of choices for vet med 2024, and this is the work experience I have - I started gaining work experience early last year (with a bit of experience in 2022 from a rescue I volunteered at, before I decided to apply to vet school).
I got work experience within:
3 small animal clinics (about a week’s worth at all of them)
An equine hospital (2 days worth)
A farm animal rescue (3 days - this included with lambs, sheep, pigs, goats, cows, a variety of birds, horses, donkeys. Some of the animals were rescued from the life they previously had, some had ailments and different conditions)
A wildlife rescue (3 days - included a variety of birds and hedgehogs)
A dog/cat rescue (about nearly a year’s worth)
A mini zoo (a week)
Hydrotherapy/physiotherapy/laser therapy (once a week for about 6 months)

I think I totalled around 110+ hours for clinical experience, and 180+ hours for animal-related non-clinical experience
Reply 26
Original post by flamingolover

I got offers from Surrey, Liverpool and Bristol (and Nottingham) so if you need any help let me know

How much work experience did you have and what did you do? I’m thinking of applying to all four of those universities (although I’m a bit unsure about Liverpool).
How much work experience did you have and what did you do? I’m thinking of applying to all four of those universities (although I’m a bit unsure about Liverpool).

1 week farm park 1
1 week farm park 2
2 week farm park (4h every Saturday morning)- had some exotic
1 week cats protection (4h every Saturday morning)
1 week lambing
1 week small animal vet (4h every Wednesday afternoon!
1 week equine vet
3 days animal testing/research lab
1 day abattoir
Reply 28

1 week farm park 1
1 week farm park 2
2 week farm park (4h every Saturday morning)- had some exotic
1 week cats protection (4h every Saturday morning)
1 week lambing
1 week small animal vet (4h every Wednesday afternoon!
1 week equine vet
3 days animal testing/research lab
1 day abattoir

Thank you very much, do you think an abattoir is a necessity in an application?
Thank you very much, do you think an abattoir is a necessity in an application?

Not a necessity but I think it shows and understanding of the more negative parts of the career. I went to the University of Bristol with 5th year RVC rotation students and got a reference off of the vet lecturer there which I absolutely think was a massive boost in my Bristol application
Reply 30
Not a necessity but I think it shows and understanding of the more negative parts of the career. I went to the University of Bristol with 5th year RVC rotation students and got a reference off of the vet lecturer there which I absolutely think was a massive boost in my Bristol application

Hi. How did you get the work experience please. I have emailed but they haven't replied. Many thanks
Reply 31

How did you go to the university of Bristol with 5th year RVC rotation students? Sorry I don’t entirely understand.
Original post by domag123
Hi. How did you get the work experience please. I have emailed but they haven't replied. Many thanks

I emailed multiple times but I also had to phone a lot of places! Often places are busy and if they get lots of emails it’s easy to miss
How did you go to the university of Bristol with 5th year RVC rotation students? Sorry I don’t entirely understand.

Honestly no idea. I got the day at the abattoir and was told I’d be with students and assumed they’d be Bristol students but I turned up and they told me that they were from RVC on rotation. I presume RVC doesn’t have an abattoir so sends them to other places to get that training but I wasn’t 100% clear on why it was RVC students
Reply 34
this is anxiety inducing oh dear
Original post by aliaa03
this is anxiety inducing oh dear
Ha, yes. Are you okay?
Reply 36
Ha, yes. Are you okay?
yep 😂
I'll pop in one small thought for those hoping to apply and study veterinary medicine. This actually applies to a lot of professions but in particular the veterinary world because it involves paying customers who are enlisting your help.

The difference between a good vet and an outstanding vet will be in their people skills. You could be an average clinician but if customers like you and keep coming back time after time because they would prefer to deal with you then you are doing something right. Don't neglect your people skills, it's a human field as much as an animal one.
Reply 38
Original post by domag123
Hi. She has secured placements at 2 local veterinary practices. Will be working on a mixes livestock farm lambing and caring for cows. Just wondering what else we should look at thank you.
Lambing lambing lambing UNI’S LOVE IT!!
Reply 39
Original post by ErasistratusV
I'll pop in one small thought for those hoping to apply and study veterinary medicine. This actually applies to a lot of professions but in particular the veterinary world because it involves paying customers who are enlisting your help.

The difference between a good vet and an outstanding vet will be in their people skills. You could be an average clinician but if customers like you and keep coming back time after time because they would prefer to deal with you then you are doing something right. Don't neglect your people skills, it's a human field as much as an animal one.
100000% agree with this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending