The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine Applicant thread 2025 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 4mb8r
Lambing lambing lambing UNI’S LOVE IT!!

Is there any specific amount of lambing that you need? I have a lambing placement but I don’t think I’ll be able to get a week out of it as it’s quite a small farm with only 20 sheep. Should I look for another farm?
Original post by Elizabeth200
Is there any specific amount of lambing that you need? I have a lambing placement but I don’t think I’ll be able to get a week out of it as it’s quite a small farm with only 20 sheep. Should I look for another farm?
I’d try to get a week if possible
Reply 42

Check the national sheep association website as they have contact pages etc. and I don’t think they are bothered the amount of sheep they are more bothered about the process of doing it if that makes sense
Original post by flamingolover
That’s brilliant so far! Definitely on the right track! The 2 vet practices are brilliant. Are they both small animal? If so I would aim to get a horse or farm (so basically just a large animal vet) If at all possible but this is not neccisarily. Mixed farm is fantastic!!! I also recommend a riding school or local yard. Riding schools tend to love an extra pair of hands but I would recommend phoning as they are often busy. I also recommend a kennels or cattery for small animal husbandry experience again they always want help. To stand out and have a really good understanding of the veterinary world I recommend an abattoir (I only got a day) and an animal research lab (I got 3 days).
Hi! Just wondering which lab did you go to? I'm finding it difficult to find one that can take me on
Original post by sinisterfia
Hi! Just wondering which lab did you go to? I'm finding it difficult to find one that can take me on
I went to sequani but they only take people within a 30 mile radius. It was hard to find and when I googled places I didn’t find anywhere. I only found this place as they did a talk at my school
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 45
I went to sequani but they only take people within a 30 mile radius. It was hard to find and when I googled places I didn’t find anywhere. I only found this place as they did a talk at my school
how did your lab work experience help you in your application?
Will a microbiology and medical testing lab help my application at all? It’s not animal related, but it is science related and shows my interest in the subject so I’m not sure.
Will a microbiology and medical testing lab help my application at all? It’s not animal related, but it is science related and shows my interest in the subject so I’m not sure.
i don’t think it directly counts if it wasn’t an animal based lab sort of thing but you could totally write about it in your personal statement or any questionnaires they send if it’s relevant 💚
Original post by marti3x
how did your lab work experience help you in your application?
So it was an animal testing lab that had a vet. It also gave me an insight into general research and research skills which will be needed as a vet student in both actual research projects and in just finding relevant information. I was asked in an interview about my understanding of all aspects of the career so having the lab background definitely helped.

I was also worried about this but for work exp in a vet practice but what I found is that the unis care more about quality and variety than quantity, as in interviews you’ll probably only be asked about one thing for each different work experience if that. So try get as much as possible but don’t worry if not bc the main thing to do is be able to talk about 1 or 2 interesting cases and what you learned from each, also one that i found worked rly well to bulk out my work experience was volunteering at a kennels and cattery especially bc it had clients experience and working with unfriendly pets.

You’ll see lots of people with seemingly 1000s of hours experience but remember it’s not a comparison and if you do one thing but are able to talk about it in depth and show what you’ve learnt then that’s 100x more useful!

Could definitely help for the research part
Original post by sinisterfia
No idea if this is useful but when i was on work experience at three counties equine hospital, there was another girl there on placement in their on site lab
Original post by HBeetle
No idea if this is useful but when i was on work experience at three counties equine hospital, there was another girl there on placement in their on site lab
Sorry should introduce myself!
I am current yr13, applied to bristol notts lpool and surrey, got offers from all. Will be starting at bristol in sept if i get the grades!
I did wayyy more wex than needed,,
12 weeks smallies vets, staying with family members to work at different practices.
1 week equine hospital.
3 days abattoir.
6 hours a fortnight milking for 6 months
3 hours a week at a local smallies vet, for just over a year now!
3, nearly 4 lambing seasons on a small sheep farm, with paid work throughout rest of year.
I also had a job in a farm and equine shop, partly for money but also some vet schools (lpool included) require customer facing wex now.
Any Qs feel free to pm me :smile:
Original post by HBeetle
Thank you I really appreciate it but unfortunately it’s a bit too far from me as I am further east
Hypothetically, if I get ABB in my AS levels can I still be considered for veterinary courses? And is it possible to pull my bio and chem grades up in my final year?
Hypothetically, if I get ABB in my AS levels can I still be considered for veterinary courses? And is it possible to pull my bio and chem grades up in my final year?
Do you mean A2 levels? If you get a contextual offer then yes ive seen people get offers for AAC, AAB, ABB.
Deffo possible to pull grades up, I went from D in yr12 chemistry to looking (hopefully) at A* . Just takes work and thousands of past paper qs from pmt
I got offers from Surrey, Liverpool and Bristol (and Nottingham) so if you need any help let me know
Hi, is it okay if I pm you? I just need some support because I feel so unconfident like I'm unsure if the things I'm doing are enough for me to get a place. I just really wish to get 4/4 of my offers, so I'd appreciate your valuable advice
Very useful document from VSC here which details work experience requirements. It’s updated each year so keep an eye out for the next version.
https://www.vetschoolscouncil.ac.uk/applications/
I just want to be sure, how do you count work experience? Like 1 week is 5 days in a row or 5 days in total? If I do a Monday and Tuesday then wait a week and do another Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday is that two weeks or one? How many hours do I have to work for it do count as a day? Sorry if this is a stupid question I’m just double checking. Thank you.
1 day counts as a standard work day (8hrs) and a week counts as 5 days, doesn't have to be in a row. If you do Monday and Tuesday and then do Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday the week after, it counts as 5 days (1 week), not 2 weeks. Don't worry it's not stupid, these kinds of things are confusing.
Original post by awh_aysha
Hi, is it okay if I pm you? I just need some support because I feel so unconfident like I'm unsure if the things I'm doing are enough for me to get a place. I just really wish to get 4/4 of my offers, so I'd appreciate your valuable advice
Yes absolutely PM! Everyone is welcome to! The one thing I’d say is don’t pin your hopes on getting 4/4. Obviously it’s fantastic if you can and there are things to boost your application but you can only go to one uni and all you need is one and I know that’s hard to get on board with but it will help if you consider that possibility before offers come in! Always happy to chat more and give advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending