The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Question about applying for accommodation

I've got an unconditional for Edinburgh and have been looking at the Uni's accommodation options and was wondering if a student who's already been through the process could clarify something for me.

The cheapest accommodation I can find on the Uni's website are the small single rooms at Mylnes Court, however there are more expensive rooms at Mylnes court as well such as the large single room at £6095.

My question is, when I apply for accommodation if I were to put my first choice as Mylnes Court do I get to ask or specifically the small single room or is it more like applying for Mylnes Court as a whole and then the uni gives you whatever room is available? This is important for me to know as for most accommodation options with cheap rooms I wouldn't be able to afford the non-cheap rooms.
Reply 1
You apply for a particular type of room!

The way it works is essentially you select 5 preferences (in no particular order), and UoE allocate you one of these particular preferences wherever they can. You'll be able to select your 'priority' in case they have to allocate you another accommodation option in terms of what is important to you -- iirc this was location, price, and en suite. (If you specifically wanted to be in Milnes I'd suggest picking 'location', if you're wanting to get something in a similar price range I'd suggest price', etc.)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by rwnsl
You apply for a particular type of room!

The way it works is essentially you select 5 preferences (in no particular order), and UoE allocate you one of these particular preferences wherever they can. You'll be able to select your 'priority' in case they have to allocate you another accommodation option in terms of what is important to you -- iirc this was location, price, and en suite. (If you specifically wanted to be in Milnes I'd suggest picking 'location', if you're wanting to get something in a similar price range I'd suggest price', etc.)

Thanks this was really helpful! Another question if you don't mind - were you notified through email or anything when applications for accommodation opened?
Reply 3
Original post by KimGrrr
Thanks this was really helpful! Another question if you don't mind - were you notified through email or anything when applications for accommodation opened?

I believe I got my offer a week or so after accommodation allocation had opened, so I'm not 100% sure! Accommodation allocations generally open in March, for us it was early-mid March (for 2023/24) so I'd keep an eye out on the accommodation website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending