The Student Room Group

How do uni accom work?? any advice or tips?

Looking to apply for university in 2024 and I wanted to understand how choosing a uni accommodation works. I have already made a short list of potential places, in my price range.

I was curious about what happens when I am ready to apply, can you view multiple properties? do you have to make a deposit for your choice? do you get time to think or will they want you to decide on the day you view? What is the best way to see all possible properties as I only have two real short-listed ones?

tysm to anyone who has any advice 🥺
Original post by kieraimogen1812
Looking to apply for university in 2024 and I wanted to understand how choosing a uni accommodation works. I have already made a short list of potential places, in my price range.

I was curious about what happens when I am ready to apply, can you view multiple properties? do you have to make a deposit for your choice? do you get time to think or will they want you to decide on the day you view? What is the best way to see all possible properties as I only have two real short-listed ones?

Hi! It depends on the individual uni (I'm assuming you're looking at uni halls?). I was sent an email after firming my uni about accommodation and was asked to rank about 3-5 rooms that I would like to stay in. I was told which room i would be getting about a month after I applied but for some unis it could be after results day!

You can absolutely view multiple properties and the viewings are usually before you apply! However you might be able to have a private viewing as well!

Most accommodation do require you to pay a deposit but unfortunately I do not know much about this.

Hopefully your uni will send you an email about viewing the properties other useful information! :smile:
Original post by kieraimogen1812

Hi there,
It varies depending on the university and what accommodation you are applying for. For example, some may require a deposit whereas others may not. I'd highly recommend going to view multiple accommodations if you'd like to stay in university owned, as they may ask you to rank your choices in order of preference. If you can see these in person (e.g. at an open day) then that would be ideal but if not, take a good look online and ask the accommodation team if you have any questions.

Private student accommodation is also worth considering. For example, at Student Roost many of our accommodations come with additional facilities included in the bills (plus a packed events calendar) so it ends up being good value for money.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending