The Student Room Group

Law degree/A-Level regrets

I am in year thirteen (my second year of A Levels) and am currently predicted three As in English Literature, Drama and Media studies. I have reconsidered the degree I previously received offers for and would like to study Law or Law and Politics instead, after a gap year. A dream would be to study at UCL, but other universities I am considering include Cardiff, UEA, Surrey and York.

My issue is that I worry my second two subjects will be looked down upon by some universities, and would also like to develop some more concrete knowledge of the world before I go to university. I do wish I had taken a subject like History or Philosophy instead of either Drama or Media Studies but had no idea I would want to pursue law at the time.

I wonder if it would be worth me taking an extra essay-based A Level in a subject such as History or Politics next year to aid my application and develop further knowledge.

It would be much appreciated if anyone had any thoughts or advice on this, getting into universities as competitive as UCL, or the LLB program in general.
Original post by Charlie999*9
I am in year thirteen (my second year of A Levels) and am currently predicted three As in English Literature, Drama and Media studies. I have reconsidered the degree I previously received offers for and would like to study Law or Law and Politics instead, after a gap year. A dream would be to study at UCL, but other universities I am considering include Cardiff, UEA, Surrey and York.
My issue is that I worry my second two subjects will be looked down upon by some universities, and would also like to develop some more concrete knowledge of the world before I go to university. I do wish I had taken a subject like History or Philosophy instead of either Drama or Media Studies but had no idea I would want to pursue law at the time.
I wonder if it would be worth me taking an extra essay-based A Level in a subject such as History or Politics next year to aid my application and develop further knowledge.
It would be much appreciated if anyone had any thoughts or advice on this, getting into universities as competitive as UCL, or the LLB program in general.
Why not use UCAS extra to apply for law.
https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/courses?searchTerm=Law&studyYear=2024&destination=Undergraduate&subjects=Law&postcodeDistanceSystem=imperial&pageNumber=1&sort=MostRelevant&clearingPreference=None

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2024/law-llb
Sheffield requires AAA, no specific subject for A levels.

Hi there

It is great that you have an idea of what area you would like to study in the future. Here are some considerations that you may like to make when making your decision: For a degree, you do not need any specific subjects. Most universities will accept any combination of A levels. However, I would still recommend just double checking on their website to see that this is the case. Whilst studying an essay-based subject may demonstrate your interest and skills in the area, there are many other ways you can do this. For example: work experience, volunteering, or any extracurricular events that you have attended. Being able to expand on these in your personal statement can be really useful.

As a student that did not study the typical law related subjects during a level, I was also concerned that I did not have the skills to study law at the university. However the course is structured in a way so you do not need prior knowledge of the law, while writing skills will be an advantage, there will be a lot of opportunities for you to develop these throughout law school. In my opinion, I have not been disadvantaged by studying non-law, or non-essay based subjects. I think Universities tend to look for higher marks during A levels, so you should consider whether taking an extra subject is likely to impact your grades. If you are certain that it will not impact your grades, then it is certainly something you could try out.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi @Charlie999*9

Although it does depend on the university you are applying to, most institutions do not have any A level subject requirements for studying law so it shouldn't be a problem as long as you show through your personal statement that you really do want to study law and have an interest in the subject as well as transferrable skills.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie 🙂
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there
It is great that you have an idea of what area you would like to study in the future. Here are some considerations that you may like to make when making your decision: For a degree, you do not need any specific subjects. Most universities will accept any combination of A levels. However, I would still recommend just double checking on their website to see that this is the case. Whilst studying an essay-based subject may demonstrate your interest and skills in the area, there are many other ways you can do this. For example: work experience, volunteering, or any extracurricular events that you have attended. Being able to expand on these in your personal statement can be really useful.
As a student that did not study the typical law related subjects during a level, I was also concerned that I did not have the skills to study law at the university. However the course is structured in a way so you do not need prior knowledge of the law, while writing skills will be an advantage, there will be a lot of opportunities for you to develop these throughout law school. In my opinion, I have not been disadvantaged by studying non-law, or non-essay based subjects. I think Universities tend to look for higher marks during A levels, so you should consider whether taking an extra subject is likely to impact your grades. If you are certain that it will not impact your grades, then it is certainly something you could try out.
I hope this helps.
Chloe

Hi Chloe

Thanks so much for your response. This does fill me with more confidence since I have now secured some work experience placements.

May I ask how you are finding the degree? Which aspects of the course have been particularly interesting and have your studies motivated you to pursue law professionally?

Thanks,
Charlie

Idk if it helps but I do geography, English lit , media studies , film studies and I’ve had law offers from Durham, Exeter, Glasgow and Edinburgh. I’m non contextual and I got the average lnat score (23)
Off The top of my head I think only LSE, UCL and Birmingham have preferred subject lists for law, so you can check how those would consider your subjects by referring to their webpages. Birmingham considers most subjects that aren't vocational/technical as preferred and UCL includes the majority of A-levels in the same manner. I think it would only be LSE where it may be a major issue.

Hi there!

I'm sure you got all the assurance you needed from the replies above =)

Just to add that Surrey also doesn't require specific subjects, and that the ones you're taking are perfectly fine for the LLB here.

You may be interested in chatting to one of our Law students via this link, to get a better feel for what studying law over here is like. Additionally, you can visit the Student Life page to see what life is like here more generally, and in Guildford. Interesting reads.

I hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc
Hi Chloe
Thanks so much for your response. This does fill me with more confidence since I have now secured some work experience placements.
May I ask how you are finding the degree? Which aspects of the course have been particularly interesting and have your studies motivated you to pursue law professionally?
Thanks,
Charlie

Hi Charlie

It is great to hear that you have secured some work experience placements, congratulations!

Right now, I am a final year law student. I have found the course overall quite enjoyable. There have been times where I found that the workload is too much, and coursework periods will be especially stressful. However, as I am interested in pursuing a career in law, I often find reminding myself of this helps to motivate me during difficult times. 🙂 Different students will enjoy different modules, so far, I have enjoyed my final year the most, since we get to choose all of our modules by ourself (this is for Kent, so it may differ for other Universities). Studying topics that I find interesting has made the course really enjoyable for me.

At the start of University, I was not certain I wanted to pursue a career in law. However, law schools often offer multiple opportunities that give you insights into legal practice, and chances for you to gain hands on experience. Furthermore, for the past three years, I have engaged in legal workshops and talks. These have helped me notice my interest in a law career. 😀

I hope this answers your question! :smile:
Chloe
Reply 9
Don't you have to write an essay for Media Studies?
Reply 10

I didn’t apply to any of your universities (I’m from Scotland and therefore want to qualify in Scotland first) but I took a slightly unusual set of Highers, including non traditional law subjects such as art and maths. I reflected on these subjects within my personal statement and believe that it was actually helpful in terms of getting offers! There will be 1000 students who did the ‘perfect’ subjects and got excellent grades, you stand out, and that’s never a bad thing.
Original post by Conradstephens
Idk if it helps but I do geography, English lit , media studies , film studies and I’ve had law offers from Durham, Exeter, Glasgow and Edinburgh. I’m non contextual and I got the average lnat score (23)

Congratulations! Do you have any advice on personal statements for law? How difficult did you find taking the LNAT… I have heard mixed opinions of it.
Congratulations! Do you have any advice on personal statements for law? How difficult did you find taking the LNAT… I have heard mixed opinions of it.

I’d say for the ps make sure to focus on a particular type of law you find interesting, for me it was international and land, which I guess are less common than criminal or whatever. Also I’d 100% recommend to read real cases and formulate ur own opinion on the decision made by the judge, it doesn’t matter if u get things wrong as they don’t expect legal knowledge just make sure u engage with ur reading rather than just say i read x and found it interesting”.
For the LNAT, try to practice as much as you can on the official LNAT website, it’s extremely boring Ik but I didn’t practice until the night before and that did not work in my favour. For the essay section try to be really focused rather than broad, always explore both sides of the argument as well as you can and try to use analogies to prove ur point (at least that’s what I did).
I feel if u have high predicted grades like I did (a*a*a*a) and a really good personal statement and a decent lnat score you will not be at any disadvantage at all and I 100% believe that truly. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending