The Student Room Group

HCPC Registration

Hi, I want to get registered with HCPC as a counselling psychologist but I am unsure about the criteria. I have done my Masters in Counselling psychology from India and then I came to the UK to do my second masters which was not accredited.
I have registered with BPS and do hold graduate membership but dont know if my qualification from India would be enough to get onto the register. If someone could please help, Ill be really grateful
Reply 1
Original post by ShailiParekh
Hi, I want to get registered with HCPC as a counselling psychologist but I am unsure about the criteria. I have done my Masters in Counselling psychology from India and then I came to the UK to do my second masters which was not accredited.
I have registered with BPS and do hold graduate membership but dont know if my qualification from India would be enough to get onto the register. If someone could please help, Ill be really grateful

In the UK, you need to complete a professional doctorate in Counselling Psychology to register as a Counselling Psychologist, so it is unlikely your current qualifications would be enough.
As Nerol says in the UK practitioner psychologists are trained at doctoral level, and the equivalent of this would be required to register with the HCPC. More than that is that we are supposed to demonstrate specific competencies in applied settings, which UK doctoral practitioner courses are required to cover and assess. You would have to demonstrate you have achieved a comparable level of academic, research and clinical work, which would be difficult with the background you have outlined. You will have to talk to the HCPC and go through with them to see what is missing and what further training is necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest