The Student Room Group

Raf role qs

Hiya Guys!

What does it mean by 12 years service. Does this mean I would have to say in the role for 12 years and cannot change the role?

Thanks guys!
Original post by RAFPilotToBe
Hiya Guys!

What does it mean by 12 years service. Does this mean I would have to say in the role for 12 years and cannot change the role?

Thanks guys!

Yes, with very narrow exceptions.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes, with very narrow exceptions.

Meaning if for example I become a officer in one role, I cannot change my role until 12 yrs?
Original post by RAFPilotToBe
Meaning if for example I become a officer in one role, I cannot change my role until 12 yrs?

You contract of service with the RAF is for 12 years and yes, under normal circumstances you will be a pilot, or an air trafficker etc for 12 years. The training is costly, you can't swap jobs unless you lose your medical certificate to fly, when you might be offered a different branch.
Reply 4
Hi OP, terms and conditions of service are readily accessible on the official recruitment sites and I would recommend you read them and ask any questions via official channels ie AFCO rather than rely on TSR. I served for 32 years and have been retired from the RAF for over 10. There have been so many changes in that time, I wouldn’t even begin to understand, let alone advise anyone, on the current state of play with Ts and Cs. But with the modern emphasis on flexible/agile careers within the UK Armed Forces, it’s really important that you understand what you’re signing up to so you understand your options in the event of future changes in personal circumstances (as there will be, that I can guarantee).

https://recruitment.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/media/4613/20220314-pam-air-429-apr-22.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest