The Student Room Group

Phd raf

Would I be able to progress faster get more responsibilities of I went into the raf with a phd instead of batchelors / masters? (Aeronautical engineering)
Original post by Matthew-the_ace
Would I be able to progress faster get more responsibilities of I went into the raf with a phd instead of batchelors / masters? (Aeronautical engineering)

You'd most likely be looked at first to do some tasks over others. Depends on the role and experience in the RAF. Hope this helps :smile:

No, absolutely not. While there has been an obvious increase in the value placed in intellect over the last 20-30 years, there is still no 'academic' stream in the RAF (which is probably the most academic of the Services) and you can't apply intellect effectively until there is experience underlying it and the jobs that need doing use that intellect. That's Squadron Leader or Wing Commander level, ie 12-15 years into your service.
Reply 3

Nope, my colleague had a PhD and he was treated the same as everyone else. The military, and particularly the RAF is very procedural in terms of promotion, so all about how long you have been in and what practical and role experience you have. In the military your rank comes first and will supercede any academic titles, and rightly so.

Greg

I don’t see why.

Id imagine a PhD would be valuable to the aerospace defence research & development areas rather then application. More like MOD or the places with the most likely to value it the MOD partners/subcontractors focusing strictly on the technical research.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 5
TPD said it all. No real use unless you get some niche Conceptual or Capability job at Wg Cdr after 10-15 years of doing your branch job.

Quick Reply

Latest