The Student Room Group

I’m so jealous of my friends life and I’m becoming a toxic friend

I’m currently in yr13 (I’m a female). I’m a very hard worker, and I’ve always wanted to achieve high in my life. I’m predicted all A*s and I plan to do engineering. I’m from an Asian background so my parents have always told me to steer away from dating until uni, and if I do date it should be someone who will provide as well as me. (Ie go for someone who has an equally good job + education).

My whole friendship group are in relationships/talking stages.And I won’t lie, they’re all doing terrible academically. They’re all achieving Us and Es, have loads of rejections from uni. But for some reason, the fact that they are all in relationships bother me. It probably wouldn’t bother me so much if it wasn’t all they talked about. But still. I feel excluded seeming as I’ve never had a boyfriend.

boys have approached me before. I think 6/7 guys (most of those guys being in sixth form because I had my ‘glow up’ by then and I joined a new sixth form) have told me they ‘like me’ and I rejected all of them because I knew how much of a distraction it would be for my education.
I don’t go out AT ALL because of my strict parents. Lol the last time I went out with my friends was probably last year in the summer holidays)

I know I am SO close to exams and I don’t want to let myself down at all!! I want to get my A*s in the real exam so these petty talking stages shouldn’t matter to me.

My best best friend is the worst of them all tbh. She’s an actual beg, as horrid as I sound but it’s true. She’d talk to the most vile boys ever who were clearly only talking to her for sex (they explicitly said) and she still was delusional (all the boys ditched her in the end). and she’d tell me how she went to the club and kissed 3 RANDOM guys in one night ?!
It’s driving me insane!!
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’m currently in yr13 (I’m a female). I’m a very hard worker, and I’ve always wanted to achieve high in my life. I’m predicted all A*s and I plan to do engineering. I’m from an Asian background so my parents have always told me to steer away from dating until uni, and if I do date it should be someone who will provide as well as me. (Ie go for someone who has an equally good job + education).

My whole friendship group are in relationships/talking stages.And I won’t lie, they’re all doing terrible academically. They’re all achieving Us and Es, have loads of rejections from uni. But for some reason, the fact that they are all in relationships bother me. It probably wouldn’t bother me so much if it wasn’t all they talked about. But still. I feel excluded seeming as I’ve never had a boyfriend.

boys have approached me before. I think 6/7 guys (most of those guys being in sixth form because I had my ‘glow up’ by then and I joined a new sixth form) have told me they ‘like me’ and I rejected all of them because I knew how much of a distraction it would be for my education.
I don’t go out AT ALL because of my strict parents. Lol the last time I went out with my friends was probably last year in the summer holidays)

I know I am SO close to exams and I don’t want to let myself down at all!! I want to get my A*s in the real exam so these petty talking stages shouldn’t matter to me.

My best best friend is the worst of them all tbh. She’s an actual beg, as horrid as I sound but it’s true. She’d talk to the most vile boys ever who were clearly only talking to her for sex (they explicitly said) and she still was delusional (all the boys ditched her in the end). and she’d tell me how she went to the club and kissed 3 RANDOM guys in one night ?!
It’s driving me insane!!

I wish i was in ur position rn. Not bc ur suffering from their nonsense but because you have straight A*. Look at it this way, there are people like me who try hard for their studies but they're stuck at Cs and Ds no matter what and we have no love life. At least you have something and this something is much more better than a relationship at a stage like year 13. My friend group is the same in terms of the relationship way but when i look at the bigger picture, it doesn't sound that appealing to me. I agree 100% that having a new relationship now would be a distraction and thats one of the reasons why i haven't tried finding someone. You just have to remember that you have smt way better than them

It’s driving me insane!!

Honestly you should surround yourself with better people - those who have boundaries - after A-levels you’ll probably never speak to her again - you can either just be her friend till you go to uni or distance yourself from her and break the friendship off (which might distract you from work) idk

It’s driving me insane!!
mate forget it, smah exams and go to uni im planning to apply med and i feel the exact same, ur firends have thier own life let them ruin it - in summer and uni u can do whatever u want
Ik girls like this in school lol in fact they used to be smart now ones redoing sixth form and her boyfriend who always messed about in school works in construction.

So yeah steer clear of trying to be like them
Okay! I feel like I can really relate. I’m Asian, and in the final year of hs , I usually score the top grades in my class, and I’ve never ever dated, though I’ve been asked out, but I felt like these guys would just distract me and in the long run none of this would help me achieve my goals and ambitions. Of course, I’ve faced lot of difficulties standing by this though, since I’ve seen so many of my friends date and it was visibly annoying to see couples around everywhere, ugh! Most of my friends had experienced dating or were dating and I did feel quite left out. I still persisted though, but it has been tough…. But let me tell you, it shouldn’t bother! See the big picture, most of these relations are all unserious and basically for killing time… Trust me, you will be proud of yourself for choosing this path (so will I)!!

It’s driving me insane!!

That’s totally normal. I feel that too, I’m from an Asian background and my friends are surrounded by guys. At the start I felt like I needed a crush to actually be heard by my friends. But that shouldn’t be the case, try to think as your studies as your lover, as ridiculous as that sounds!

I think you just need to remember that purity is priority in academics, IF you want to remain a virgin and experience all those things later when you’re able to. Not saying you can’t have a relationship and be great in school, but sometimes the overthinking and all of those issues that come along with a relationship, can really weight you down.

Focus on your studies and you can find someone that will be perfect for you.

It’s driving me insane!!

Womp womp
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #7
Womp womp
STOP LMAO only I can say womp womp😒

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending