The Student Room Group

Emotional abuse from family member

Someone in my family verbally insults me regularly. I try to ignore and make myself strong but its getting hard. When things are good they are good, but when things are bad they are very bad and I hate being around them. I try the route of avoidance but I feel like I'm just trapping myself in my own room and stripping away my personality.

I am currently looking for a job as I've recently graduated, but it will be long till I move out. My parents are passive on the situation, if I confide in them they invalidate my feelings by shutting me down, telling me to "not take things personally". There's no one I can talk to who's interested in listening, so I've learnt its best just to keep my feelings to myself. As a result I'm living in constant guilt, because I'm made to feel that I deserve what's happening.

I've started seeing myself through other people's eyes. It's causing my self esteem to drop and its preventing me from growing. I'm considering a therapist to talk to, just to get years of pent up feelings out. However I need to save more money and it would not solve the root cause.

What would you do if you were me?

I'm considering seeing a therapist to deal with my internalised thoughts.
I don't have much advice to offer but completely feel for you I have a tough time living at home too as it can get frustrating due to conflicts of interests and requiring independence etc.

The best thing I can advise is to keep yourself busy as much as you can... at least that's what works for me. But be sure to not compromise your downtime. If you think having a convo with the said individual will help matters then please do. Never be afraid of speaking or expressing how you feel. Don't lock yourself away in your room, only makes things worse (speaking from experience)

Hopefully the other members can offer more useful and practical advise. You've done the right thing by sharing how you feel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending