The Student Room Group

Proof of estrangement? Do I even count?

Hi all
I'm care-experienced (not a care leaver). I do have contact with my mum but it's an abusive relationship and she struggles with alcohol (to the point that she was banned from driving for a period) which is one of the main catalysts for her behaviour. This has been going on since I was quite young, but particularly throughout secondary school. It was reported but nothing further came of it/I was the one who was referred to therapy because social services didn't believe or realise the extent of it. No one (no professional) really knows about our relationship in recent years or at least if they know it's difficult they don't know the extent and I"m not sure it would be good for my own wellbeing if I went into depth with people to explain the full nature of the issues. As I do have contact with her and see her face to face (relationships and attachments are much more complex than SF seems to make them out to be and I come home to help with animals primarily), I'm not sure I count outright as independent/estranged with SF's narrow definition, but it also seems ridiculous that I am putting myself in a situation that is wearing down my mental health with someone who can be abusive but still don't count as estranged/independent or am not enabled to be independent because I still see someone that it's very hard not to see (my support network such as other family members is attached to my mum and I have always been afraid that losing contact completely would mean I lose my support network overall). Is there any way I'd count as independent?
Original post by lmgreynolds
Hi all
I'm care-experienced (not a care leaver). I do have contact with my mum but it's an abusive relationship and she struggles with alcohol (to the point that she was banned from driving for a period) which is one of the main catalysts for her behaviour. This has been going on since I was quite young, but particularly throughout secondary school. It was reported but nothing further came of it/I was the one who was referred to therapy because social services didn't believe or realise the extent of it. No one (no professional) really knows about our relationship in recent years or at least if they know it's difficult they don't know the extent and I"m not sure it would be good for my own wellbeing if I went into depth with people to explain the full nature of the issues. As I do have contact with her and see her face to face (relationships and attachments are much more complex than SF seems to make them out to be and I come home to help with animals primarily), I'm not sure I count outright as independent/estranged with SF's narrow definition, but it also seems ridiculous that I am putting myself in a situation that is wearing down my mental health with someone who can be abusive but still don't count as estranged/independent or am not enabled to be independent because I still see someone that it's very hard not to see (my support network such as other family members is attached to my mum and I have always been afraid that losing contact completely would mean I lose my support network overall). Is there any way I'd count as independent?

Hi there, The only other option to be assessed as an Independent Student is to have evidence confirming that you have self supported yourself for 3 years/36 months prior to the start of the course such as evidence of employment or benefits. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending