The Student Room Group

adult nursing or ODP

I'm beginning to plan my personal statement, but I still have some thoughts about what degree I would like to apply for. Both degrees are at the same university. My plan was to apply for operating department practice because I'm very interested in surgery and I like the fact that I'm able to work with a range of different age groups. However, I've thought about a degree in adult nursing then becoming a theatre nurse.

Which would you recommend?
Original post by Rocklee8807
I'm beginning to plan my personal statement, but I still have some thoughts about what degree I would like to apply for. Both degrees are at the same university. My plan was to apply for operating department practice because I'm very interested in surgery and I like the fact that I'm able to work with a range of different age groups. However, I've thought about a degree in adult nursing then becoming a theatre nurse.

It all depends on where you see your career heading in the future. Do you want to stay working in peri op care or do you want the ability to be able to move into other areas? While ODP is diversifying a little bit and working outside their traditional areas, the main bulk of ODPs still work in peri op care. Nursing may give you more options if you want to move away from theatres.
Reply 2
Original post by Rocklee8807

if your insistant on working in the perioperative environment ODP is the way to go
Reply 3
Hiya I'm currently a first year ODP student but transferred from adult nursing at the same uni. Before I heard of the ODP course I wanted to be a theatre nurse however my key reason for switching from nursing to ODP is the way both are trained.

In the long run ODPs and theatre nurses do the same jobs, however if you went through the nursing route you would have to do additional training at a uni after your degree e.g. on anaesthetics and additional on the job learning if you decide you want to work in theatres. If you go through the ODP route you learn everything during your degree and can hit the ground running when you graduate. Nursing students don't really have theatre placements during uni it's mostly wards/community, while ODP placements are based in theatres. I personally wasn't a fan of the wards (loved the patients and people I worked with, just the general ward environment).

If you know you want to stay in the perioperative environment and more interested in surgery take ODP, however nursing would give you more flexibility if you wanted to change speciality in later years and you'd have a wider general knowledge.
Reply 4
Hiya, how’s your ODP course going? Do you still feel good about your decision? I’m in the same boat, I’m in adult nursing now and my plan was to be a theatre nurse but now I’m thinking about the ODP course.
Reply 5
Original post by Aishaaan
Hiya, how’s your ODP course going? Do you still feel good about your decision? I’m in the same boat, I’m in adult nursing now and my plan was to be a theatre nurse but now I’m thinking about the ODP course.

On my last placement for year 2 now!! Honestly I’m glad I made the switch but again it’s great if you’re absolutely sure you want to remain in theatres. I ended up loving anaesthetics the most out of the big 3 (scrub, anaes, recovery) which I would have had to do a top-up course if I went the nursing route.
I feel good about my decision but one thing I miss the most from nursing is the patient interaction and connection. My one year in nursing was so rewarding and yes the ODP course is rewarding in its own way but it’s not the same.
Also theatres is such a unique environment. I had gotten to grips with the nursing terminology and then when I went to theatres I felt the same how I felt during my first nurse handover - a completely diff language! But overall for me it was a good decision on my part but def miss nursing a lot but I think that’s me remembering the good bits more than the downs.

How far are you into your nursing degree?
Reply 6
Original post by _chelle
On my last placement for year 2 now!! Honestly I’m glad I made the switch but again it’s great if you’re absolutely sure you want to remain in theatres. I ended up loving anaesthetics the most out of the big 3 (scrub, anaes, recovery) which I would have had to do a top-up course if I went the nursing route.
I feel good about my decision but one thing I miss the most from nursing is the patient interaction and connection. My one year in nursing was so rewarding and yes the ODP course is rewarding in its own way but it’s not the same.
Also theatres is such a unique environment. I had gotten to grips with the nursing terminology and then when I went to theatres I felt the same how I felt during my first nurse handover - a completely diff language! But overall for me it was a good decision on my part but def miss nursing a lot but I think that’s me remembering the good bits more than the downs.

How far are you into your nursing degree?

I have a placement in September then I’m done for 1st year! Because I’m mostly interested in theatre nursing I’m not the biggest fan of placements, as you said the thing that I like most is interacting with the patients, but I really don’t mind having less of it honestly. And it feels like a bit of a drag doing all these placements and having to potentially do a top-up course when I could just do ODP.
do you feel like ODP and theatre nurses typically have the same role? I.e they can both be scrub practitioners or work in anaesthetics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending