The Student Room Group

Biomedical sciences to accounting

Hey!! I’m currently studying biomedical sciences, but now going through the degree I’m having second thoughts as to whether science itself is an area that I want to pursue. I’m thinking of other career paths and accountancy seems like one that I could potentially be interested in, although I still have a lot of research etc to do on the topic before I make any decisions.

I’ve personally never really done anything related to accounting/business at all, even at GCSE level. At the moment I’m thinking of doing maybe some small courses over summer to get a better idea as to whether accounting would be something that I would like, although I was just wanting to see if there was anyone on here who has experienced a similar situation, or if there is any advice/resources I could look at to get a better idea on accounting and whether it’s a career I would be interested in. Thanks:smile:
Original post by Trull123
Hey!! I’m currently studying biomedical sciences, but now going through the degree I’m having second thoughts as to whether science itself is an area that I want to pursue. I’m thinking of other career paths and accountancy seems like one that I could potentially be interested in, although I still have a lot of research etc to do on the topic before I make any decisions.

I’ve personally never really done anything related to accounting/business at all, even at GCSE level. At the moment I’m thinking of doing maybe some small courses over summer to get a better idea as to whether accounting would be something that I would like, although I was just wanting to see if there was anyone on here who has experienced a similar situation, or if there is any advice/resources I could look at to get a better idea on accounting and whether it’s a career I would be interested in. Thanks:smile:

Hi there!

I believe there is something you can do when at University which involves switching courses. I know this is something I learnt about when doing law at A-Level, as many people do their degree and then decide to pursue law so do a year long transition course for this. Maybe with some research there is an accounting conversion course as well? Should you decide this is for you, of course.

There are companies like Smailes Goldie Group and Smith and Goulding, which do apprenticeships in accounting, these could be worth looking into. If you're looking for more hands on experience it might be worth getting in touch with an accounting firm and enquiring about volunteering with them to get that real life impression of whether you will enjoy a career in it.

Hopefully, some of the above helps you with your position!

Ethan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending