The Student Room Group

Lancaster v York v Trinity College Dublin Law

Hello,
I am currently in a position where I have unconditional LLB Law offers from the University of Lancaster, University of York, and Trinity College Dublin and I am in a very difficult predicament as I do not know which to choose. Each has its own positives such as York's PPL way of teaching and it being a Russel Group uni, but Lancaster has a higher overall ranking in the world and the UK. Whereas TCB has the best overall ranking worldwide, however, I'm not sure where it stands in its reputation for law and quality of life, as well as being a 4-year programme as opposed to 3. If anyone has any advice, insight, or experience please let me know which of the three you would recommend and why. Any comments would be appreciated :smile:.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Parent here. York is lovely and is supposed to be a great Law course. I have visited Lancaster a few times, TBH I'd be going to York. TCD is obviously fab - but Dublin is expensive to live, and does it give you LLB to practice law in the UK? However, Dublin is also fabulous, but you might get a tiny bit of culture shock (assuming you are not Irish). One offspring got a QUB offer, which was super cool, but she ended up at York. I'd go York over Lancaster myself, but that doesnt help you with Dub. I hope this is a tiny bit of help!!
Original post by Trapboyy 77
Hello,
I am currently in a position where I have unconditional LLB Law offers from the University of Lancaster, University of York, and Trinity College Dublin and I am in a very difficult predicament as I do not know which to choose. Each has its own positives such as York's PPL way of teaching and it being a Russel Group uni, but Lancaster has a higher overall ranking in the world and the UK. Whereas TCB has the best overall ranking worldwide, however, I'm not sure where it stands in its reputation for law and quality of life, as well as being a 4-year programme as opposed to 3. If anyone has any advice, insight, or experience please let me know which of the three you would recommend and why. Any comments would be appreciated :smile:.

Hello there,

Congratulations on your unconditional offers!

As a fellow law student and Lancaster University student ambassador, I can give you some insight into my experience here.

Lancaster University has a distinguished reputation in the field of law, offering an intellectually stimulating programme designed to equip students with the skills and knowledge needed to excel in the legal profession. The Law School consists of esteemed scholars and practitioners who are dedicated to providing unparalleled support and guidance to our students.

One of the standout features of studying law at Lancaster for me is the innovative approach to legal education, which combines theoretical insights with practical applications through unique modules. Through engaging seminars, moot court competitions, and opportunities for internships and placements, I have had the chance to develop critical thinking, advocacy, and research skills.

Moreover, Lancaster's supportive and inclusive campus environment fosters collaboration and networking among students, faculty, and industry professionals. Whether it's participating in student-led societies, attending guest lectures by prominent legal experts, or engaging in pro bono activities, there are countless opportunities to enrich your academic experience and broaden your horizons.

Beyond academics, Lancaster University offers a vibrant and welcoming community, with a wide range of extracurricular activities, cultural events, and recreational facilities to enjoy.

I hope this helps! 🙂

Smriti
Lancaster University Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Either York or TCD
Reply 4
Original post by Film
Either York or TCD

Thanks for your reply, but do you mind expanding a little more on why you would choose them?
Reply 5
Original post by Trapboyy 77
Hello,

Hi,
I am currently studying LLM at Lancaster, and I have completed my undergraduate here as well. I loved Lancaster so much that I HAD to come back.
Lectures are amazing and really interesting, lecturers are also brilliant, they know what they are talking about, they have plenty of experience and they are always ready to help. I can't recommend Lancaster enough, I had a great time.
I developed a lot of skills throughout my undergraduate, and I really made a lot of progress academic-wise.
I hope this helps 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending