The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

TCD or Durham

Hi everyone, i have offers from both TCD and Durham for law and i dont know which one to choose.
i really like Dublin but I’m scared i wont get as good of career opportunities going out of trinity.
any advice?
Original post by Kq2006
Hi everyone, i have offers from both TCD and Durham for law and i dont know which one to choose.
i really like Dublin but I’m scared i wont get as good of career opportunities going out of trinity.
any advice?
Hi there

Congratulations on your offers.

It is my understanding that law degrees from TCD are compliant with the English SRA's criteria of a qualifying law degree as it has the requisite modules. So with an LLB from TCD, you will be able to practice (upon qualification) in Ireland, England and Wales without having to sit the SQE. However, if you wish to practice in Ireland with an LLB from England, then you'll need to pass the QLTT conversion test. That gives you an extra thing to do which is something to consider.

A single honors degree at TCD is 4 years long (with the last year focusing on a research project) which is different from Durham where the LLB is 3 years long (unless you do a year abroad or industrial placement) with a dissertation project in your final year. This is also something to consider depending on how many years you'd like to stay in academia.

Also you'd want to consider which city you'd rather live in. Dublin is obviously much bigger than Durham. The quality of student life will therefore be different. I'd suggest talking to students from both unis to find out what it's like to live there and then decide which one suits you more. I'm happy to answer any questions about Durham and its law course as I'm a law finalist here.

These threads will also help: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6509632 ; https://www.reddit.com/r/uklaw/comments/10tvknl/becoming_a_solicitor_in_the_england_with_an_irish/

Good luck and please feel free to reach out if you have any questions :smile:

-Himieka
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I am from Durham originally and live in Dublin. I would overwhelmingly choose Durham. Dublin is dirty, expensive, has crazy rents and is surpisingly limited in terms of things to do. Durham is a beautiful city and only a short train ride from Newcastle if you want to visit a bigger city. Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest