The Student Room Group

A level choices help

Hello! I need help.. I’ve been constantly wondering if I should pick the combo of media studies, psychology and English lit a level or th combo of media studies, film studies and English lit a level. I know I want to go into a creative career in the future but I’m kind of unsure if those subject choices will actually lead anywhere. I also think psychology sounds like an interesting A level to take but I’m not sure if I’d have the commitment towards it if I don’t like it 100%. If anybody has tips and advice, or have studied the subjects above then help would be much appreciated! :smile:
(edited 3 months ago)
Do Maths...

It wont be that hard if you are organised.
Reply 2
I don't think you need maths. check the courses you may want to do and see the entry requirements for the course, and I'm sure it will help your decision.
Original post by na1mak
Hello! I need help.. I’ve been constantly wondering if I should pick media studies, psychology and English lit a level or media studies, film studies and English lit a level. I know I want to go into a creative career in the future but I’m kind of unsure if those subject choices will actually lead anywhere. I also think psychology sounds like an interesting A level to take but I’m not sure if I’d have the commitment towards it if I don’t like it 100%. If anybody has tips and advice, or have studied the subjects above then help would be much appreciated! :smile:

English Literature, Film Studies and Psychology!!! 😀
Reply 4
Original post by thegeek888

English Literature, Film Studies and Psychology!!! 😀

thank u!!
Reply 5
Original post by Pray.for.me
Do Maths...

It wont be that hard if you are organised.

I'm AWFULL at maths hahaha- I would definitely be struggling so maybe not- but thank you for the advice!
Original post by na1mak
Hello! I need help.. I’ve been constantly wondering if I should pick media studies, psychology and English lit a level or media studies, film studies and English lit a level. I know I want to go into a creative career in the future but I’m kind of unsure if those subject choices will actually lead anywhere. I also think psychology sounds like an interesting A level to take but I’m not sure if I’d have the commitment towards it if I don’t like it 100%. If anybody has tips and advice, or have studied the subjects above then help would be much appreciated! :smile:

do maths psychology and english (don’t get scared 😭🫶🏻) because they are respected subjects and u can get into really good unis if u change ur mind or need something to fall back on but if you want to do a creative job they are still going to be helpful for example if u want to do acting or directing or writing studying human behaviour is very useful and can make stuff far more believable and it’s also very interesting english is amazing if u want to work creatively as u will get such a good understanding of literally everything i can’t really explain it but the analysis skills are so useful like for example even at gcse i did drama and i just used all my english knowledge and got a 9 with like no effort so at a level it will be very useful especially if u want to go to uni it’s really helpful for essays and maths is honestly so much easier than at gcse in my opinion becuase u can always tell what the question is asking there is far less content and it’s very straightforward to revise i would say watch a video explaining it and then do practice questions and also they always ask literally the same questions every year it will be hard if you don’t put in any effort and the hard questions are difficult but if u revise they are easy and also in sixth form u will have far more time to revise and less subjects and maths for me is fun once u understand it ! i would suggest maths as it’s very respected even though most ppl don’t realize how easy it is compared to what they think so don’t look at a paper and get scared it’s not that bad and it will help u if u want to study a creative subject at uni

i hope this helps :smile:

also btw i was bottom set maths at gcse and struggled a lot trust me a level is way easier i never got below A*
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by na1mak

If you want to go into a creative career why aren't you taking any creative subjects really? Have you looked at art/design/photography etc? Seems a bit of an oversight!

And no need to do A-level Maths...
Reply 8
Original post by annabel whittle
do maths psychology and english (don’t get scared 😭🫶🏻) because they are respected subjects and u can get into really good unis if u change ur mind or need something to fall back on but if you want to do a creative job they are still going to be helpful for example if u want to do acting or directing or writing studying human behaviour is very useful and can make stuff far more believable and it’s also very interesting english is amazing if u want to work creatively as u will get such a good understanding of literally everything i can’t really explain it but the analysis skills are so useful like for example even at gcse i did drama and i just used all my english knowledge and got a 9 with like no effort so at a level it will be very useful especially if u want to go to uni it’s really helpful for essays and maths is honestly so much easier than at gcse in my opinion becuase u can always tell what the question is asking there is far less content and it’s very straightforward to revise i would say watch a video explaining it and then do practice questions and also they always ask literally the same questions every year it will be hard if you don’t put in any effort and the hard questions are difficult but if u revise they are easy and also in sixth form u will have far more time to revise and less subjects and maths for me is fun once u understand it ! i would suggest maths as it’s very respected even though most ppl don’t realize how easy it is compared to what they think so don’t look at a paper and get scared it’s not that bad and it will help u if u want to study a creative subject at uni

i hope this helps :smile:

also btw i was bottom set maths at gcse and struggled a lot trust me a level is way easier i never got below A*

aww omg honestly thank you so much for the feedback!! 🫶🏾I know I shouldn't be scared about maths and should ideally take it but 1) I'm so so bad at it now and struggle with it so much so I know that taking it for a level would just be the wrong choice. 2) i don’t really want to do anything maths related in the future so I fear that it might just be an a level that’ll just go to waste, especially if I ‘t really want to do it in the first place. I get what you mean about English - I’m definitely taking it as it’s one of my strongest subjects now and I have a passion in it already. As for psychology I do want to take it but I see a lot of people say it’s extremely stressful but tbh a lot of people say that about most subjects to be fair 😭😭. This helped so so much honestly I’m super grateful. Congrats on ur A* in maths by the way- so incredibly proud ! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
If you want to go into a creative career why aren't you taking any creative subjects really? Have you looked at art/design/photography etc? Seems a bit of an oversight!

And no need to do A-level Maths...

Hi! That’s a really good question. Most of the sixth forms/sixth form colleges I’ve looked at don’t offer design sadly. As for art - I’ve always been pretty bad at it so would pass for this option. I have considered photography, however it’s kind of a hobby that’s on the side for me right now and I feel like it’s something I could learn in my free time without taking it as a whole A Level. I have considered it and still am considering it but I’m not sure what I would swap it out for in the options I have listed. Also media and film studies count as creative subjects no? If you’ve studied photography then please let me know how you found it. Thank you so much by the way !!
Original post by na1mak
aww omg honestly thank you so much for the feedback!! 🫶🏾I know I shouldn't be scared about maths and should ideally take it but 1) I'm so so bad at it now and struggle with it so much so I know that taking it for a level would just be the wrong choice. 2) i don’t really want to do anything maths related in the future so I fear that it might just be an a level that’ll just go to waste, especially if I ‘t really want to do it in the first place. I get what you mean about English - I’m definitely taking it as it’s one of my strongest subjects now and I have a passion in it already. As for psychology I do want to take it but I see a lot of people say it’s extremely stressful but tbh a lot of people say that about most subjects to be fair 😭😭. This helped so so much honestly I’m super grateful. Congrats on ur A* in maths by the way- so incredibly proud ! :smile:

aww thank u!! honestly if u don’t like maths there is no point taking it even though it does look good like for me i wasn’t that good at maths at gcse 😭 but i did enjoy it so i revised it like all the time and liked it sm i took further maths too (that’s weird ik but still 😍) so if u know ur not going to like it and it won’t be useful u can pick others so dw anyways i also took psychology and psychology was like my favourite a level ever it’s not stressful in my opinion like at all u just have to know how to revise it and revising it is fun because its literally so interesting if u want tips lmk i would recommend it to anyone and trust me u will have so many ppl telling u each a level is really stressful so u won’t know what to pick but just pick what u like and what ur interested in and what will help u later on! i don’t regret taking psychology and it helps in everyday life too just make sure u have ur essay plans done well that’s what made the difference between the ppl in my class who got d’s and literally me getting full marks feeling like i barley revised i just had fun (that sounds so nerdy but i’m literally being fr 😭) if u want to go into a creative subject pick what u think is most relevant or whatever course u want to take requires or what u think is most useful

anyway i type way too much but good luck! y will do amazing psychology and english and definitely really good strong a levels too especially if u do really well u can get into top unis also if u want to go to a top uni u might want to look at their preferred subject list as see which more creative subjects they prefer but if not then pick whatever u want good luck bby 🫶🏻🫶🏻

also one more thing psychology does have a lot of content so make sure u actually find it interesting like go online or on physics and maths tutor and read the notes and look at papers what i used to do is learn the first topic vaguely of each subject i was considering at AS level and it gave me a good idea of what it would be like and if it was or wasn’t for me
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by na1mak
Hi! That’s a really good question. Most of the sixth forms/sixth form colleges I’ve looked at don’t offer design sadly. As for art - I’ve always been pretty bad at it so would pass for this option. I have considered photography, however it’s kind of a hobby that’s on the side for me right now and I feel like it’s something I could learn in my free time without taking it as a whole A Level. I have considered it and still am considering it but I’m not sure what I would swap it out for in the options I have listed. Also media and film studies count as creative subjects no? If you’ve studied photography then please let me know how you found it. Thank you so much by the way !!

Not sure media studies is that creative necessarily, think it's more the analysis of media? It could be different at A-level though. Film I think does have a practical component at A-level.

I didn't do A-levels at all but did a photography section in my IB Visual Arts course. I absolutely loved it - working in analogue was such a great experience, I loved processing my film in the darkroom. I don't know if I was any good at it but it was great fun. Nearly did my final project in photography but my teacher got me switched onto painting in the end :smile:
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest