The Student Room Group

What should I study with psychology and economics

Hey
So I wanna study accounting in university and for my alevels currently I’m doing : economics, sociology and law with core maths. I’m changing law to psychology but I don’t know about keeping sociology. I would keep law but it’s in the same block as economics. I’m not sure and I’m 1 week and a bit into a levels what should I do keep sociology or change it ?
Original post by estie1234
Hey
So I wanna study accounting in university and for my alevels currently I’m doing : economics, sociology and law with core maths. I’m changing law to psychology but I don’t know about keeping sociology. I would keep law but it’s in the same block as economics. I’m not sure and I’m 1 week and a bit into a levels what should I do keep sociology or change it ?

If you're going for pure accounting degrees, then you would only need 3 A Levels in any subjects so long you have the grades.

If you're going for a quantitative accounting and finance degree, it will only ask for A Level Maths + 2 other A Levels. I am not sure if Core Maths would be accepted as a substitute.

I'm not a fan of law and I prefer economics, so I'm biased there. I also prefer psychology over law, not only because psychology is an academic subject, but according to people who did law you're more likely to get a better grade.
Sociology is fine for accounting degrees as far as I know. The only times I would change this is if you really don't like the subject or you can't get a high grade in it. Many who did sociology liked it, so it's up to you.

The key A Level to be concerned with, depending on your choice of degree, would be Maths. I would check the entry requirements of the degree that you want to do and see if they accept Core Maths. If they doesn't say and it requires Maths, check with the undergrad admissions of the business school of the uni to be sure.
Every other subject can be changed depending on your preferences and performance.

Note: you don't need specific A Levels to become an accountant; you don't even need a degree. You will need the appropriate professional accounting qualification, depending on the role and employer that you want to work for, and UK professional accounting qualifications all require passes at A Level.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
If you're going for pure accounting degrees, then you would only need 3 A Levels in any subjects so long you have the grades.

If you're going for a quantitative accounting and finance degree, it will only ask for A Level Maths + 2 other A Levels. I am not sure if Core Maths would be accepted as a substitute.

I'm not a fan of law and I prefer economics, so I'm biased there. I also prefer psychology over law, not only because psychology is an academic subject, but according to people who did law you're more likely to get a better grade.
Sociology is fine for accounting degrees as far as I know. The only times I would change this is if you really don't like the subject or you can't get a high grade in it. Many who did sociology liked it, so it's up to you.

The key A Level to be concerned with, depending on your choice of degree, would be Maths. I would check the entry requirements of the degree that you want to do and see if they accept Core Maths. If they doesn't say and it requires Maths, check with the undergrad admissions of the business school of the uni to be sure.
Every other subject can be changed depending on your preferences and performance.

Note: you don't need specific A Levels to become an accountant; you don't even need a degree. You will need the appropriate professional accounting qualification, depending on the role and employer that you want to work for, and UK professional accounting qualifications all require passes at A Level.

Hi,
Thank you for replying back fast! I wanted to do economics, maths and psychology but I didn’t get the grade to do it at level so I’m doing core maths instead. I could try ask if they will let me do alevels maths for year 12 then drop it in year 13 so it would count as a as level maths but yeah. So I think I’ll do sociology, psychology and economics and as if they can let me do a level maths as a as . Is that good to do or ?
Hi,
Thank you for replying back fast! I wanted to do economics, maths and psychology but I didn’t get the grade to do it at level so I’m doing core maths instead. I could try ask if they will let me do alevels maths for year 12 then drop it in year 13 so it would count as a as level maths but yeah. So I think I’ll do sociology, psychology and economics and as if they can let me do a level maths as a as . Is that good to do or ?

Your non math choices are fine, and if they won't let you do the full A Level for Maths then you can do it during a gap year as a private candidate (worth going the distance for this in my opinion), because A Level Maths doesn't have any grade or GCSE requirements set by the exam boards prior to doing it (the requirements are set by the individual colleges for pass rates, etc.).
In my opinion, an AS in maths doesn't hold the same credibility as a full A Level, and I think the unis that require A Level Maths would likely think that way as well (unless they specifically say something different in the entry requirements of the specific degree). If I want to do A Level Maths, I would do the full A Level, not the AS.

Having said that, if the specific degree that you want to do does not mandate that you have a maths A Level, then you're fine without it. If it does, then I would still do the A Level regardless.
Reply 4
Your non math choices are fine, and if they won't let you do the full A Level for Maths then you can do it during a gap year as a private candidate (worth going the distance for this in my opinion), because A Level Maths doesn't have any grade or GCSE requirements set by the exam boards prior to doing it (the requirements are set by the individual colleges for pass rates, etc.).
In my opinion, an AS in maths doesn't hold the same credibility as a full A Level, and I think the unis that require A Level Maths would likely think that way as well (unless they specifically say something different in the entry requirements of the specific degree). If I want to do A Level Maths, I would do the full A Level, not the AS.

Having said that, if the specific degree that you want to do does not mandate that you have a maths A Level, then you're fine without it. If it does, then I would still do the A Level regardless.

Hello,
So I talked to my school about this and they said as long as I pass the entrance exam for maths Alevel I can do it as a A level. So that means I’ll do economics, sociology, psychology and A level maths and then in year 13 I might drop sociology. What about that ?
Hello,
So I talked to my school about this and they said as long as I pass the entrance exam for maths Alevel I can do it as a A level. So that means I’ll do economics, sociology, psychology and A level maths and then in year 13 I might drop sociology. What about that ?

Even better. You should be eligible for any accounting degree with the Maths A Level if you get all the required grades.

Having said that, it would also depend on the specific uni and degree that you want to do.

I wish you luck on the entrance exams. These should be slightly more difficult than GCSEs (or at least they're set at higher tier GCSE maths). I would focus on the difficult GCSE maths exam papers to work on your skills.
Reply 6
Even better. You should be eligible for any accounting degree with the Maths A Level if you get all the required grades.

Having said that, it would also depend on the specific uni and degree that you want to do.

I wish you luck on the entrance exams. These should be slightly more difficult than GCSEs (or at least they're set at higher tier GCSE maths). I would focus on the difficult GCSE maths exam papers to work on your skills.

Hi,
Thank you so much! Yeah I think most unis like the combination of maths and economics so I’ll try it for year 12 and decide what a level to drop. (Sociology or maths )

Quick Reply

Latest