The Student Room Group

Final Year crisis

Hi,

I’m currently a third year student in my final semester of university and I feel like I have wasted so much time. In three years I have made no friends and basically spent majority of my time in my room, which is something I have made peace With.

But now looking for jobs and getting no where, the whole thing just seems like a waste. If I had fun at uni or made friends, I would have felt like I had gotten something out of this but right now I don’t know how to feel. I’m annoyed at myself for not trying harder, but circumstances were also very weird the first two years.

I know I can’t change the past, I just want to get over it so I can focus on planning what’s next.

Has anyone been in a similar boat. How did you get over it?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,

I’m currently a third year student in my final semester of university and I feel like I have wasted so much time. In three years I have made no friends and basically spent majority of my time in my room, which is something I have made peace With.

But now looking for jobs and getting no where, the whole thing just seems like a waste. If I had fun at uni or made friends, I would have felt like I had gotten something out of this but right now I don’t know how to feel. I’m annoyed at myself for not trying harder, but circumstances were also very weird the first two years.

I know I can’t change the past, I just want to get over it so I can focus on planning what’s next.

Has anyone been in a similar boat. How did you get over it?

Anon,

You know the things that you would change if you could, and so the important thing now is to remember that with your next step. If you get a job in a new place, then again you will have to choose whether you stay in your room or whether you try to get involved with different opportunities around you. It's okay to wish that things had been different but it's what you do going forward that counts.

Job hunting is not fun. Applications take time and it can be demoralising to apply for lots of roles and to not hear back, or to be rejected, or to go for an interview and to then get rejected, so you do need to be strong and keep applying. All being well, it will not be like that but I have been there and it's tough to find the motivation to keep applying, so try to mix up your day or week so it's not filling in job app after job app : (

Do get advice from your careers service at uni. There are ways to construct a good CV, cover letter and personal statement, so do get help as this could make a huge difference.

If you know that you have not got much to put on your CV in terms of things you've been involved with, or examples you can use in a job interview to show different skills, then think about what you can start doing now. Maybe it's doing some volunteering for a local charity, maybe it's joining a sports club and helping to organise socials, or even joining a political party and getting involved with campaigning. You could learn a new language or take up coding. Any of those options could add something to your CV and be a good talking point in an interview, so do think about what you are interested in and what opportunities are available to you.

All the best!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending