The Student Room Group

Worried about behaviour in school affecting college applications!

Hello, I am a year 10 student and I have pretty good grades all round currently, I am not worried about the grade aspect of College applications. I would LOVE to go to Peter Symonds college, it is my ideal college but I am worried if my behaviour previously will hold me back!

In year 9 I had internal exclusions twice (like an exclusion held IN the school) and our school has a behaviour system called "habit points" of which there are positive and negative ones. In year 8 and 9 I had quite a lot of these, like about 15 for each year. Can colleges see these?

However in year 10 I like to think my behaviour has massively improved; I only have 2 negative points so far and I am making sure I DON'T GET ANY MORE until the end of year 11. I did have ONE internal exclusion, but I spoke with the teacher and she changed it to a detention; she said that she WOULD NOT put the detention on the system though and she said she would remove the internal exclusion so I didn't really get into any trouble.

Really worried about this, please respond soon
Thanks!

By the way, sorry I didn't know if this was the correct forum; if it isn't if someone could tell me a better forum to post this in that would be great, thank you
Reply 1
I have 3 internal exclusions alll that "put on ur school record" is bs ur fine x
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
and external too, just make sure you keep ur behaviour in check and youll be fine
Original post by halfharry
and external too, just make sure you keep ur behaviour in check and youll be fine

Thanks for the response! So I'm good as long as I behave well from now on?
Reply 4
Original post by School_Student99
Thanks for the response! So I'm good as long as I behave well from now on?

Yes but I'm going to warn you.... I'll quickly refer to my experiences so you understand what I'm saying. No matter how much you change you must be willing to accept ur past and understand it can be exposed. I went to an all girls grammar school and the assistant head teacher had it out for me, I wasn't perfect but she definitely made sure i'd always get the worst punishments ( I had more exclusions than detentions in 5 years- only 3 detentions btw). When I moved schools, I wanted to start afresh and so I went where no-one would know me. i advise you do the same. Also, leave the school with good grades, when i say good grades i mean all 8s and 9s if possible. ik this sounds ridiculous but teachers talk and all it takes is a teacher from ur old school to tarnish ur reputation at a new school. I litch saw the assistant headteacher at a rugby match at my current school turns out her son plays there, but because I'm a prefect now and she could tell I was well-liked she knew she couldn't say anything. By getting good grades, and changing ur behaviour, don't give ur new school a reason to dig into ur past. I wish you the best of luck and really do hope you take my advice.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by halfharry
Yes but I'm going to warn you.... I'll quickly refer to my experiences so you understand what I'm saying. No matter how much you change you must be willing to accept ur past and understand it can be exposed. I went to an all girls grammar school and the assistant head teacher had it out for me, I wasn't perfect but she definitely made sure i'd always get the worst punishments ( I had more exclusions than detentions in 5 years- only 3 detentions btw). When I moved schools, I wanted to start afresh and so I went where no-one would know me. i advise you do the same. Also, leave the school with good grades, when i say good grades i mean all 8s and 9s if possible. ik this sounds ridiculous but teachers talk and all it takes is a teacher from ur old school to tarnish ur reputation at a new school. I litch saw the assistant headteacher at a rugby match at my current school turns out her son plays there, but because I'm a prefect now and she could tell I was well-liked she knew she couldn't say anything. By getting good grades, and changing ur behaviour, don't give ur new school a reason to dig into ur past. I wish you the best of luck and really do hope you take my advice.

Alright, I will listen best I can and get the best grades I can- thanks for all the help and I wish you all the best. By "new school" you mean college right? Also, can teachers that no longer teach me (such as from year 8 for example) still ruin my chances?
Thanks
Alright, I will listen best I can and get the best grades I can- thanks for all the help and I wish you all the best. By "new school" you mean college right? Also, can teachers that no longer teach me (such as from year 8 for example) still ruin my chances?
Thanks

For example, I don't take Food Nutrition as a GCSE, but in year 8 and 9 when I did it we had a REALLY REALLY annoying teacher who hated everyone; even though she doesn't teach me anymore can she still put something on my college reference or can she tell the college something negative about me? I had multiple teachers like this in the past, even one for Maths in year 9; but I like to think I have a good relationship with all my current teachers. Can the teachers from before year 10 say anything?
Reply 7
For example, I don't take Food Nutrition as a GCSE, but in year 8 and 9 when I did it we had a REALLY REALLY annoying teacher who hated everyone; even though she doesn't teach me anymore can she still put something on my college reference or can she tell the college something negative about me? I had multiple teachers like this in the past, even one for Maths in year 9; but I like to think I have a good relationship with all my current teachers. Can the teachers from before year 10 say anything?

No just keep up the good work now.It will be the year11 head of year who writes that report.
Original post by Scotney
No just keep up the good work now.It will be the year11 head of year who writes that report.

Oh alright, thanks! How about the year10 head of year? Can they have ANY effect whatsoever? Also I heard it was your tutor that writes it

Thanks again
Reply 9
Unless your really bad it really shouldnt matter.
I was constantly being isolated (sounds like your internal exclusion) and at 1 point possibly had the mist isolations deffinately in my year! I was also exxluded twice, countless detentuons that i deemed pointless so never went, had more lunches took off me than i had i think and was on some form of report atleast once a year from year 7 to year 13... and still was allowed into the same 6th form, and teacher who didnt know me thought they did and knew that me, but not the me i became in 6th form.
Schools really dont send information on unless its really bad.
Youd never guess inwas that person in lower school now half way through my second degree at 32, i never let my behaviour and attitude stip me...
Original post by PonchoKid
Unless your really bad it really shouldnt matter.
I was constantly being isolated (sounds like your internal exclusion) and at 1 point possibly had the mist isolations deffinately in my year! I was also exxluded twice, countless detentuons that i deemed pointless so never went, had more lunches took off me than i had i think and was on some form of report atleast once a year from year 7 to year 13... and still was allowed into the same 6th form, and teacher who didnt know me thought they did and knew that me, but not the me i became in 6th form.
Schools really dont send information on unless its really bad.
Youd never guess inwas that person in lower school now half way through my second degree at 32, i never let my behaviour and attitude stip me...

Wow thanks! I'll just try to be as good as I can :smile:. Will this still apply even if I want to go to a prestigous college?
Wow thanks! I'll just try to be as good as I can :smile:. Will this still apply even if I want to go to a prestigous college?

yes but never give them a reason to look into your school record, it gives them a good reason to amplify your punishment if you ever do something wrong.... do relax ik teachers threaten to write bad references but 9/10 times theyre lying through their teeth
Hello, I am a year 10 student and I have pretty good grades all round currently, I am not worried about the grade aspect of College applications. I would LOVE to go to Peter Symonds college, it is my ideal college but I am worried if my behaviour previously will hold me back!

In year 9 I had internal exclusions twice (like an exclusion held IN the school) and our school has a behaviour system called "habit points" of which there are positive and negative ones. In year 8 and 9 I had quite a lot of these, like about 15 for each year. Can colleges see these?

However in year 10 I like to think my behaviour has massively improved; I only have 2 negative points so far and I am making sure I DON'T GET ANY MORE until the end of year 11. I did have ONE internal exclusion, but I spoke with the teacher and she changed it to a detention; she said that she WOULD NOT put the detention on the system though and she said she would remove the internal exclusion so I didn't really get into any trouble.

Thanks!

By the way, sorry I didn't know if this was the correct forum; if it isn't if someone could tell me a better forum to post this in that would be great, thank you

From what Ik, the school has the reference bit on the UCAS reference so they can choose to put whatever. So just make sure your sweet with the teachers writing it and that you show your determination and passion for the college and course u want to do - they should understand and give u a good reference
Original post by academic.warrior

Thanks!

From what Ik, the school has the reference bit on the UCAS reference so they can choose to put whatever. So just make sure your sweet with the teachers writing it and that you show your determination and passion for the college and course u want to do - they should understand and give u a good reference

Wait I think thats ucas reference though for university not for college; sorry idk about applying for college if there’s a reference or not
Original post by academic.warrior

Wait I think thats ucas reference though for university not for college; sorry idk about applying for college if there’s a reference or not
Alright cool thanks for the help! Im pretty sure UCAS is for university only and not college
Reply 15
Oh alright, thanks! How about the year10 head of year? Can they have ANY effect whatsoever? Also I heard it was your tutor that writes it

Thanks again

Well depends on your school but if you keep your nose clean teachers are not in the business of ruining kids chances unless there is a very good reason Certainly not those who have turned things around.

Its unlikely, schools and teachers arnt there to ruin your chances unless like i said your really bad.
But if thats your dream you need to knuckle down and keep clean as you wont get away with behaviour resulting in isolations and such at this college, your likely to just be kicked out
Original post by PonchoKid
Its unlikely, schools and teachers arnt there to ruin your chances unless like i said your really bad.
But if thats your dream you need to knuckle down and keep clean as you wont get away with behaviour resulting in isolations and such at this college, your likely to just be kicked out

Alright cool, thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Scotney
Well depends on your school but if you keep your nose clean teachers are not in the business of ruining kids chances unless there is a very good reason Certainly not those who have turned things around.

alright cool, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest