The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

How many courses can I apply to at the LSE?

Hi everyone,

Looking to understand if it would be advisable to apply to 3 courses that are similar at the LSE, if I can incorporate all (Which I believe I can).

The courses in question all have a common denominator, listed below:

- Politics
- Politics & Philosophy
- Politics & International Relations
They're very focused on the PS and expect a very focused PS on the subject you're applying to, or for a joint honours, on both sides of the course.

I wouldn't recommend it.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Well, I would say is LSE your dream university? Because putting 3 of your options in there could be seen as risky if your other two options are high ranking as well. You can apply to more than one course at the same university but do you want to? As even if your receive an offer, a bad day on exam day may mean that your firm is gone, and an insurance choice if it high ranking.
There’s no point - they will never make more than one offer. You will just end up lowering your chances by failing to produce a PS sufficiently tailored to any of the courses.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

Looking to understand if it would be advisable to apply to 3 courses that are similar at the LSE, if I can incorporate all (Which I believe I can).

The courses in question all have a common denominator, listed below:

- Politics
- Politics & Philosophy
- Politics & International Relations

Politics is a realistic choice and an offer could result, if you apply as it has 11 applications per place!!! :wink:
Politics & Philosophy is a realistic option with just 10 applications per place!!! :biggrin:
Politics & International Relations is a true lottery with 27 applications per place?! :frown:

Why not apply for Politics and Politics & Philosophy? But you would need to be applying for other joint honours courses that are:

Politics and Philosophy!!! :biggrin:

Work hard on your UCAS Personal Statement, as LSE 'scrutinise' the UCAS Personal Statement heavily so!!! :frown:
Reply 5
Hi everyone,
Firstly, thank you for your comments. Regarding my university, yes I definitely want to attend LSE - I guess it is my dream university.
I was wondering the suitability to instead apply for two courses, being:
- Politics & Philosophy
- Politics

I understand there's an 80/20 split on Curricular and extracurricular. For the 80% however, how would it work incorporating both Philosophy and Politics into them. I want to talk about them in an intertwined manner i.e. like linking how certain politicians are influenced by their philosophy of development, and then discussing political consequences (Good/bad) that arise from this (that I'm interested in).
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,
Firstly, thank you for your comments. Regarding my university, yes I definitely want to attend LSE - I guess it is my dream university.
I was wondering the suitability to instead apply for two courses, being:
- Politics & Philosophy
- Politics

I understand there's an 80/20 split on Curricular and extracurricular. For the 80% however, how would it work incorporating both Philosophy and Politics into them. I want to talk about them in an intertwined manner i.e. like linking how certain politicians are influenced by their philosophy of development, and then discussing political consequences (Good/bad) that arise from this (that I'm interested in).

For LSE, ignore the 80:20 thing - they aren’t interested in extra curricular activities that aren’t related to your subject.
"You are welcome to apply to more than one programme at LSE; however you should ensure that they are fairly similar to ensure that you are able to write a relevant and well-focused personal statement.

"We advise students applying to more than one programme at LSE to be cautious, as they may find it difficult to effectively demonstrate their academic interest in the limited amount of space available in the personal statement. LSE does not accept additional or supplementary personal statements.

"You should also note that applying to more than one programme does not increase the likelihood of your being made an offer. Applicants who make applications to more than one programme at the School within the same cycle will be considered for all programmes applied to, however would only be eligible to receive a maximum of one offer from the School."

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Completing-the-UCAS-form#:~:text=Your%20five%20choices%20on%20the%20UCAS%20form&text=You%20are%20welcome%20to%20apply,and%20well%2Dfocused%20personal%20statement.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by LeapingLucy
For LSE, ignore the 80:20 thing - they aren’t interested in extra curricular activities that aren’t related to your subject.

I understand, thanks.
Reply 9
Thank you, I've read this on their site.

I guess I'm more concerned with whether it is an unspoken rule for them to just not consider you for one course (of the two selected, for example)
Original post by ageshallnot
"You are welcome to apply to more than one programme at LSE; however you should ensure that they are fairly similar to ensure that you are able to write a relevant and well-focused personal statement.

"We advise students applying to more than one programme at LSE to be cautious, as they may find it difficult to effectively demonstrate their academic interest in the limited amount of space available in the personal statement. LSE does not accept additional or supplementary personal statements.

"You should also note that applying to more than one programme does not increase the likelihood of your being made an offer. Applicants who make applications to more than one programme at the School within the same cycle will be considered for all programmes applied to, however would only be eligible to receive a maximum of one offer from the School."

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Completing-the-UCAS-form#:~:text=Your%20five%20choices%20on%20the%20UCAS%20form&text=You%20are%20welcome%20to%20apply,and%20well%2Dfocused%20personal%20statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending