The Student Room Group

Maths in UK

Hi guys,

I have applied to oxford, warwick and durham on UCAS and am thinking about the other 2 choices. What universities would you recommend for mathematics and why?

Thank you!
Original post by dori.
Hi guys,

I have applied to oxford, warwick and durham on UCAS and am thinking about the other 2 choices. What universities would you recommend for mathematics and why?

Thank you!

All of these 3 universities are very risky for Maths. You could end up with 3 offers or 3 rejections.

It is impossible to advise on which Maths course for somebody else. The courses will be different wherever you look. Some will concentrate on pure Maths and other be stats based. What suits one person wont another.

Looking at your choices I would look at Bath. It has a very good reputation and also is similar smaller city to Oxford and Durham. Exeter is a similar kind of place but less competitive so might be a good 5th option. Other than Lancaster is another good Maths university but dont offer mechanics but are as good as anywhere for stats.

Realistically you need to look at courses and see which university offers what kind of course you want to study.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
All of these 3 universities are very risky for Maths. You could end up with 3 offers or 3 rejections.

It is impossible to advise on which Maths course for somebody else. The courses will be different wherever you look. Some will concentrate on pure Maths and other be stats based. What suits one person wont another.

Looking at your choices I would look at Bath. It has a very good reputation and also is similar smaller city to Oxford and Durham. Exeter is a similar kind of place but less competitive so might be a good 5th option. Other than Lancaster is another good Maths university but dont offer mechanics but are as good as anywhere for stats.

Realistically you need to look at courses and see which university offers what kind of course you want to study.

Thank you for the information. I am looking to concentrate on pure rater than stats. Would these universities be suitable?

Quick Reply

Latest